Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Build a desktop iso using Artools (Read 7869 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Build a desktop iso using Artools

Reply #1
You could scrap that, next release of artools has image extraction re-implemented.
Default will stay with netinstall.

Reply #2
Ok I will as soon as the new iso is released and thank you very much, in advance, for this great improvement.

Reply #3
This is great! Now we have image extraction and torrent file creation available for community isos. :D

I know archbang now has a version based on artix. We are getting more popular!

Keep up the great work devs and thank you.

Reply #4
This is great! Now we have image extraction and torrent file creation available for community isos. :D

I would really ask you guys to not do community iso and upload them.
It would be very much counterproductive with a small team, and we also do not build any desktop environment ourself currently.

This feature is purely meant to be a private feature for the moment. Please, do be short sighted and offer any community iso.
We also do not really go the manjaro route with dozens of iso, which is hell to keep overview, and pretty much useless, since you can install any DE from repos.

The image extraction is much more targeting network deployment with pure cli system to be customized.
This was one point of critique in the distro watch review.

That being said, in summary, you don't help us if you do iso and upload them, you do help us if you learn to maintain some package and how to do a pull request on github.
Packages are high priority, iso not, since it is made from packages.

Reply #5
What about a ISO snapshot install, i.e. no package download during installation? It would eliminate interrupted installations due to bad sigs etc and at least give new users a basic working desktop, which they can boot into and add whatever they want afterwards.

Reply #6
Just for info I do make community iso's but they are for personal use and never posted anywhere. Certainly the only person who has to deal with problems is me.

Reply #7
What about a ISO snapshot install, i.e. no package download during installation? It would eliminate interrupted installations due to bad sigs etc and at least give new users a basic working desktop, which they can boot into and add whatever they want afterwards.

Thats what image extraction does. It unsquashes rootfs.sfs and desktopfs.sfs.
Idea is, that we offer a cli iso which only extracts the rootfs.sfs for network deployment in combination with pxe boot.

As for desktop stuff, my idea was yesterday, that we may add a kernel parameter to the iso to disable netinstall calamares module.
It could use eg "unpack" to kernel param in iso grub, and iso would configure calamares to extract images instead of default netinstall in live session. It would reduce the need to build iso for these two configurations, it would be all in one. :)

Reply #8
buildiso won't have an option to disable netinstall, grub will do that and iso will configure at run time calamares.

Reply #9
buildiso won't have an option to disable netinstall, grub will do that and iso will configure at run time calamares.

That sounds great but how will you build a desktop DE if build iso doesn't know it has to?

Reply #10
That sounds great but how will you build a desktop DE if build iso doesn't know it has to?

Well, the sfs images are already present anyway, calamares just does not extract them if in netinstall mode, but pulls packages from repo url.

Reply #11

Well, the sfs images are already present anyway, calamares just does not extract them if in netinstall mode, but pulls packages from repo url.

Yes but buildiso does not build a desktopfs.sfs file at present  only live and root 

Reply #13
Tats because you chose to leave out  desktopfs layer.
How to enable the desktopfs layer then and where?

@artoo

I have checked in Manjaro and they have two switches in profile.conf one for net install yes/no
and one for unpackfs or chroot not sure why?
If you use netinstall you need chroot and if you don't you need unpackfs so just one switch would do?

Reply #14
How to enable the desktopfs layer then and where?

@artoo

I have checked in Manjaro and they have two switches in profile.conf one for net install yes/no
and one for unpackfs or chroot not sure why?
If you use netinstall you need chroot and if you don't you need unpackfs so just one switch would do?

Manjaro is manjaro, artix is artix.
How its done on manjaro is not how its done in artix.

Take a look at our iso profiles, you will notice a Packages-Desktop file.
There will not be a netinstall switch in buildiso, as already pointed out. It will be done with a grub menu entry to chose if netinstal or unpackfs.