Skip to main content
Topic: System won't boot after installing nvidia driver (Read 706 times) previous topic - next topic

System won't boot after installing nvidia driver

I have old nvidia card named NVIDIA GT 415.
And i need to download NVIDIA 340x version of driver but i got error when i trying to reach nvidia settings like root nvidia x bla bla.
So im doing that and rebooting my system but after all of that my system wont open.
Please help me :'(

Re: System won't boot after installing nvidia driver

Reply #1
nouveau driver is probably the only thing that will run that card.  nvidia rcently dropped support for mny of its cards

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
neuvau driver is probably the only thing that will run that card.  nvidia rcently dropped support for mny of its cards
But i can use my drivers on Windows 10, ubuntu, Linux mint. I cant using on Arch, Artix, Arco its sad.
Is there any solution for me?

Reply #3
But i can use my drivers on Windows 10, ubuntu, Linux mint. I cant using on Arch, Artix, Arco its sad.
Is there any solution for me?

ubuntu and mint and debian are using older kernels.  i don't think the newer kernels are going to support out of date drivers.  Manjaro did support older drivers on it's newer kernels but i don't know if they are still doing that or how old a driver they might support.  i think your best best is debian old stable to get the most amount of time out of those drivers.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #4

ubuntu and mint and debian are using older kernels.  i don't think the newer kernels are going to support out of date drivers.  Manjaro did support older drivers on it's newer kernels but i don't know if they are still doing that or how old a driver they might support.  i think your best best is debian old stable to get the most amount of time out of those drivers.
Soo you telling use debian?

Reply #6
As you've figured out your card should work with the 340.xx driver.  In Arch at least.
No Linux kernel actually supports any Nvidia propriety driver. So how new the kernel is makes no difference so long as Nvidia still support that driver / card on the current kernel. Which I believe they do.
What does make a difference is that the nvidia package is compiled against the right kernel headers.

This often causes problems when slow mirror updates cause users to get the latest kernel package but not the latest Nvidia driver or vice versa.

One way round this is to use the dkms package which will rebuild the driver when needed.

I don't think Artix supports the older Nvidia drivers in the pre compiled form (non dkms) ?
So I suspect you've installed the Arch 340.xx driver ? Won't work as you discovered, not with the Artix kernel.

Have a read of https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA#Installation
You should hopefully find a suitable dkms package in AUR.

To rollback the changes you've made , so as to have a bootable system, you'll need to chroot into the install from a live usb. If you used one to install Artix that will do.

There are instructions how to do this on the forum somewhere.

However if chroot means nothing to you, and this is a fresh install, it may be simpler to start again?
Although the chroot method is not too difficult. If you want to go this route let us know and I'll  search for instructions or write some !

Regardless it should be possible to get that card working with the 340 Nvidia blob.

Edit: Do you have a console after boot? I would have thought that you should have. If so it should be easier to fix.
If not you may have further or other problems ?