Skip to main content
Topic: Really like the speed and simplicity of dinit. Only one small problem... (Read 903 times) previous topic - next topic

Really like the speed and simplicity of dinit. Only one small problem...

I really like the speed and simplicity of dinit and have been using it with my Artix installation for a couple of months now. 

The only problem that I've encountered is that my networked HP Envy 5660  printer/scanner is only detected as a printer, not as a scanner.  With an OpenRC Artix installation, SimpleScan can be opened and the scanner is detected.  With a dinit Artix installation on the same computer, it says that no scanner is detected.  That's not a big deal; I hardly ever use the scanner.  Still, it bugs me that I can't get the scanner to work.

Any suggestions?

Re: Really like the speed and simplicity of dinit. Only one small problem...

Reply #1
I really like the speed and simplicity of dinit and have been using it with my Artix installation for a couple of months now. 

The only problem that I've encountered is that my networked HP Envy 5660  printer/scanner is only detected as a printer, not as a scanner.  With an OpenRC Artix installation, SimpleScan can be opened and the scanner is detected.  With a dinit Artix installation on the same computer, it says that no scanner is detected.  That's not a big deal; I hardly ever use the scanner.  Still, it bugs me that I can't get the scanner to work.

Any suggestions?

Hplip something or other.  Check the repos for HP software.  You probably just need to install the drivers.  I doubt an init has anything to do with scanning software.  Also don't give systemd devs any ideas....

Sane xsane gocr come to mind
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #3
I found the problem.  For some reason, the saned service was not staying started.  I found out how to "pin" it in the started state:

dinitctl start --pin saned

and now the scanner is detected.

Reply #4
Wow!  Thank you!  I will need to know this eventually as i also use dinit.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #5
I found the problem.  For some reason, the saned service was not staying started.  I found out how to "pin" it in the started state:

It really shouldn't be necessary to pin the service (though it's good you've got that workaround) - have a look and see what dependencies it has and if any of them are stopping unexpectedly. If a "depends-on" dependency stops, the service itself will also stop (pinning prevents this).