Skip to main content
Topic: Calamares and users (Read 1971 times) previous topic - next topic

Calamares and users

For the Last two days Calamares seems to have problems setting up users
This is what appears on lightdm login screen

" Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon"  ........default
"Color management daemon"
"Robin Wheeler"

The result of this is Permissions are not correct in the DE and pamac will not work  remote Disks don't mount and users & groups can not be opened.

Re: Calamares and users

Reply #1
I wish I had a solution for you for this but ...

In my limited experience Calameres is totally broken and if I was capable of leading Artix, it would be my first target for fixing, or better, replacing.  I mean, just write something with http://hightek.org/projects/dialog/ .

When I installed the server, I installed a MINIMAL system, no X, no Desktops.  Then I pulled everything in by hand with pacman.

Reply #3
well, I sort of had to do that because Calamaries wouldn't make the partitions I needed, so I had to use cfdisk manually.  It wasn't fond of xfs.  This is the kind of problem Iwould not normally report to a forum, because I just work around it.  My external SATA raid, I had to really set up by hand, and I always do.  But Calamares wouldn't even partition the boot disk correctly.

Reply #4

Go ahead, just write something with dialog.
Best luck with the partitioning that will be more than comfortable, right?

BTW - I'm suprised you edited the comment like that. The comment was

In my limited experience Calameres is totally broken and if I was capable of leading Artix, it would be my first target for fixing, or better, replacing.  I mean, just write something with http://hightek.org/projects/dialog/ .

But FWIW, comfortable is CONTROL.  When the user is in control of the install, they are comfortable.  Do you get that warm fuzzy feeling with Calameres that you can predict what it will do and it will do things like you expected?

Reply #5

BTW - I'm suprised you edited the comment like that. The comment was

But FWIW, comfortable is CONTROL.  When the user is in control of the install, they are comfortable.  Do you get that warm fuzzy feeling with Calameres that you can predict what it will do and it will do things like you expected?

Its really quite simple, just write something in dialog. Hey, its easy, go ahead.

We don't have any other installer, hence why we wait for your installer contribution.

Reply #6
It may be the error but I don't really know.
Calamares is not setting a name in the DE
i.e. Robin Wheeler is in the third entry in lightdm but nowhere to be seen in the DE