Skip to main content
Topic: [Bug report] Colord permissions issue (Read 576 times) previous topic - next topic

[Bug report] Colord permissions issue

Colord package has a permission issue, as the binary can't write to /var/lib/colord/

When trying to run colord with colord-runit scripts, it fails with the error:
Code: [Select]
CdMain: failed to load mapping database: Can't open database: unable to open database file

When trying to run it manually with --verbose, the error becomes
Code: [Select]
CdMain: failed to load mapping database: Error creating directory /var/lib/colord: Permission denied

So colord does not have the appropriate permissions: if the folder is manually created (with the right permissions), the problem disappears.

See also Colord: mapping.db not found

Re: [Bug report] Colord permissions issue

Reply #2
The runit colord init script needs to create that directory with the right permissions (i.e. install -d -o colord -g colord /var/lib/colord).

Reply #3
The runit colord init script needs to create that directory with the right permissions (i.e. install -d -o colord -g colord /var/lib/colord).

As colord package should also be able to work standalone, shouldn't the folder be created at package install time, without relying on runit scripts?

Reply #4
i installed colord and colord-dinit and had no such write permissions to that directory.  While you assert it should, it seems it doesn't.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #5
colord-runit-20220524-1-any.pkg.tar.zst is now in the Testing repo; once it's on the mirrors pls test.
thx
artist

Reply #6
colord-runit-20220524-1-any.pkg.tar.zst is now in the Testing repo; once it's on the mirrors pls test.
thx
artist

Tested, it works, but shouldn't this change be part of colord package?

If I'd install only colord and not the init script, I'd still have the permission issue. In this way colord has a dependence on colord-{yourInitHere} package, as without it it does not work out-of-the-box