Skip to main content
Topic: Enable Wifi on Artix dinit [SOLVED] (Read 2542 times) previous topic - next topic

Enable Wifi on Artix dinit [SOLVED]

I just installed Artix with the dinit init system. After installation it detected my WiFi correctly and I added the password.
And in the system bar (bottom right of the screen), under network connection, the WiFi connection is listed.
I connect figure out how to enable it, there is no button.

I am slightly above a Linux newbie.

Re: Enable Wifi on Artix dinit

Reply #1
I just installed Artix with the dinit init system. After installation it detected my WiFi correctly and I added the password.
And in the system bar (bottom right of the screen), under network connection, the WiFi connection is listed.
I connect figure out how to enable it, there is no button.

I am slightly above a Linux newbie.
Likely you need to open conman.  Short for connection manager.  Should be under system settings on the gui menu.  What desktop are you using then?
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
Likely you need to open conman.  Short for connection manager.  Should be under system settings on the gui menu.  What desktop are you using then?

I am using the Cinnamon version.  There is no connman under the system setting, and when I type
Code: [Select]
connmanctl
in the terminal it says “command not found”.

Reply #3
right, if it's listed, then its working.   To confirm, do a sudo dinitctl list at a cli and you'll see networkmanager with a pid number.   Anyway, with cinnamon, once you put in the password after clicking your wi-fi network, it should automatically connect to that network, but it doesn't for you?  If  you select that network and put in the password, unless it throws an error, it's already talking to your router.  One last thing, I don't have connman installed on the cinnamon dinit install I'm typing from.  Can you just do the password thing again and see if it accepts it (if it doesn't prompt, then its connected as its hand-shaked with the router).   If its still and issue after that, do a ping www.google.com at a cli and see if it connects to the outside world.

Reply #4
right, if it's listed, then its working.   To confirm, do a sudo dinitctl list at a cli and you'll see networkmanager with a pid number.   Anyway, with cinnamon, once you put in the password after clicking your wi-fi network, it should automatically connect to that network, but it doesn't for you?  If  you select that network and put in the password, unless it throws an error, it's already talking to your router.  One last thing, I don't have connman installed on the cinnamon dinit install I'm typing from.  Can you just do the password thing again and see if it accepts it (if it doesn't prompt, then its connected as its hand-shaked with the router).   If its still and issue after that, do a ping www.google.com at a cli and see if it connects to the outside world.
When I do the dinitctl list, it says

connecting to socket home/username/.dinitctl: No such directory or file.

I deleted the password and re-input it, but nothing happened.

Reply #5
Why is enabling Wifi always such a hassle with Arch? Other distros make it a cinch, so it is not like we are talking about rocket science.

Reply #6
....sudo dinitctl list....and what about the ping bit...and i take it you haven't managed to update it either after install (sudo pacman -Syu)?  and when you say "nothing happened", it accepted the password ok without error, but no message in the top right saying connected?  and when you look at the available connections, theres not a little dot next to yours showing connected?   And do you have any other devices connected to this network at the moment without issue?  See, this doesn't make any sense, as it see's the network and gives the impression of connectiing otherwise you'd get an error when you put your pw in.   And how about if  you go through "network connections" and configure manually?

Reply #7
....sudo dinitctl list.... ➙ did that, and it shows the Network PID (578)

and what about the ping bit... ➙ don't what you mean

and i take it you haven't managed to update it either after install (sudo pacman -Syu)?  I had not done it, but I did using the ethernet cable after you suggested it. It updated 450-odd files, and it mentioned something at the beginning about wireless network

and when you say "nothing happened", it accepted the password ok without error, but no message in the top right saying connected? ➙ correct

and when you look at the available connections, theres not a little dot next to yours showing connected? ➙ nope, there is not

And do you have any other devices connected to this network at the moment without issue? Yes, there are other devices connected, nope there are no issues

See, this doesn't make any sense, as it see's the network and gives the impression of connectiing otherwise you'd get an error when you put your pw in.  ➙ I am just reporting what I have.

And how about if  you go through "network connections" and configure manually? ➙ OK, I'll do that tomorrow. I take it have to delete the current Wifi connection in the list and then add a new one and configure it manually?

Reply #8
ok.   as i said originally for the ping bit, at the cli.  Anyway, I'd imagine you have the usb stick handy, did it also not connect when originally booted before installing?

Reply #9
ok.   as i said originally for the ping bit, at the cli.  ➙ So, I did with “sudo dinitctl list” and it spat out a whole list of items, incl. Network with a PID of 578

Anyway, I'd imagine you have the usb stick handy, did it also not connect when originally booted before installing? ➙ actually when I had just launched it from the USB there was a message that it saw a WiFi network. So I opened that up, added the password. After that the network did not seem active. I then went ahead with the installation of Artix. When that was finished and I looked at the network connections the Wifi was listed with the right password, but I could not connect. When I closed the pop-up for that, it showed “no connections” in the system tray when I hovered over the icon .

Reply #10
@gavincc : I did the deletion and manual reinstall, but no luck. The icon in the system tray keeps showing no connection.

Reply #11
and one last thing - the live boot question?  I take it you're using the official iso too, and not the weekly build just because thats what I've been working from (not that it should make any difference as the official will update to the weekly anyway). 

Reply #12
and one last thing - the live boot question?  I take it you're using the official iso too, and not the weekly build just because thats what I've been working from (not that it should make any difference as the official will update to the weekly anyway). 
Yes, the official iso AFAIK

Reply #13
if you look at the date in the name of the .iso you downloaded, you'll know for sure rather than "afaik".   and when you live boot (before installing), can connect or not?

Reply #14
if you look at the date in the name of the .iso you downloaded, you'll know for sure rather than "afaik".  ➙ artix-cinnamon-dinit-20220123-x86_64.iso

and when you live boot (before installing), can connect or not? will try