Skip to main content
Topic: Having trouble switching to LTS kernel (Read 1011 times) previous topic - next topic

Having trouble switching to LTS kernel

I'm trying to flash a new BIOS to the top SOIC chip of my ThinkPad, and apparently, there's an issue in newer Arch/Arch-based versions of the Linux kernel that block read and write access to the chip via Flashrom (the BIOS still is able to do its job fine, though). If I find that this works on the LTS kernel, I may make another post about it here.

So I'm trying to switch to the LTS kernel to read and write to that chip, but it still isn't showing the options for it in the GRUB menu (including under the advanced options submenu) after running the following commands:

Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -S linux-lts
sudo pacman -S linux-lts-headers
sudo grub-mkconfig

What's wrong? Is there something else I need to do to fix this?

Re: Having trouble switching to LTS kernel

Reply #1
You should run grub-mkconfig like that:
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
otherwise it'll write its output just in the terminal. Alternatively, run
sudo update-grub
which is a wrapper for the above command.

Also, don't forget to regenerate initramfs, if it wasn't done automatically.

Reply #2
Also, don't forget to regenerate initramfs, if it wasn't done automatically.

How do I do that? Do I do it before or after I run "sudo update-grub"? And how do I check if it's done automatically?

Reply #3
How do I do that? Do I do it before or after I run "sudo update-grub"? And how do I check if it's done automatically?
Just run:

mkinitcpio -P
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

as root. The first command will regenerate the initramfs.

Reply #4
Just run:

mkinitcpio -P
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

as root. The first command will regenerate the initramfs.

I did this except run the shorthand version of the 2nd command (mentioned above by someone else) and it worked! Thanks!

Reply #5
i found a lazy method for regenerating grub config, install grub-customizer, run it and without changing settings hit Apply. it works pretty much everywhere like that, and you don't have to deduce any paths e.g. on legacy bios/grub boot.