Skip to main content
Topic: Migrating from Gentoo (Read 1364 times) previous topic - next topic

Migrating from Gentoo

Hi forum,

so I try to migrate some of my machines from Gentoo to Artix. For now, I only work in a qemu vm, but the installation (using GPT and EFI) was surprisingly easy, with some Gentoo-style handwork. As of now, I have a Plasma/KDE machine running (in less than an hour!).

But I tried to install some system tools I use on Gentoo, and now, I have some questions:

Apparently, there's no rsyslogd available. Is there only metalog and syslog-ng on Artix? Would it be possible to use rsyslogd? I'm completely new to the Arch universe, I only used Gentoo for almost 20 years now. So I'm not quite familiar with anything else …

Same for  Google's Chrome browser: Seems like there's no Chrome package on Artix? I found some (apparently quite difficult) howtos for how to install Chrome on Arch, but nothing about Artix.

How are non-existing (rsyslog) and closed-source commercial (Chrome) packages handled by Artix? Are they simply not there, or is there some easy way to use them anyway?

Thanks for all hints to an Artix-newbie in advance!

Re: Migrating from Gentoo

Reply #1
For chrome there's ungoogled-chromium in the univetse repo?  Also you could add herecura repo for official chrome or perhaps add artix-archlinux-support from the universe repo also for some arch packages on artix. 

https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Repositories

https://repo.herecura.eu/

These options require you to edit /etc/pacman.conf

Adding herecura keys requires use of sudo pacman-key --recv-keys key-number and sudo pacman-key --lsign key-number
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
Neither of those two packages are in Arch either.
They are available to Arch users in the AUR (Arch Linux User Repository).
Similar to Gentoo overlays in that they are unsupported by the actual Distros devs.

Most AUR packages will work on Artix. If they have a hard systemd dependency they will not.
They may still install though, if you have installed artix-archlinux-support (to add the arch repo's to Artix) you end up with a dummy systemd. So packages think systemd support is available but it is not. I believe this is to prevent Arch packages dragging in systemd but don't quote me on that.

You can install AUR helpers https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_helpers  (I use yay)
But it's best to learn the process manually https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_User_Repository#Installing_and_upgrading_packages

And review the PKGBUILD of AUR packages you are going to install. They can do anything.
Same as a Gentoo ebuild from an overlay. Security risk.
Though I imagine Chrome has a lot of peer review. Obscure and old AUR packages not so much.

Reply #3
Thanks for the info! I'll try that!

Reply #4
>>Same for  Google's Chrome browser: Seems like there's no Chrome package on Artix? I found some (apparently quite difficult) howtos for how to install Chrome on Arch, but nothing about Artix.

IMO if you do not have a specific reason to use Chrome, enable Arch repos and install chromium, the headaches that way might be less.

Reply #5
Actually, I would be way more interested in using rsyslog …

I'm not using Chrome on a daily basis. Normally, I browse with Falkon. But the problem is that sometimes, the by design always-outdated QtWebEngine does not work with something. So I sometimes use Chrome as a "if it doesn't work with that, it's not because I use Linux" fallback.

Reply #6
Actually, I would be way more interested in using rsyslog …
I'm not sure if you've stated your choice of init ?
But if openrc I imagine it would be fairly easy to get it working as there must be openrc service files available if that's what you were using on Gentoo. Just try it and see what happens.

Reply #7
Yeah, of course, I can compile it manually and use Gentoo's rsyslog init script. But doing so, I have to care about the package and updating it myself, as the distribution doesn't know about this.

I guess we're a bit spoiled on Gentoo with plenty of choices for about everything ;-)

Reply #8
Yeah, of course, I can compile it manually and use Gentoo's rsyslog init script. But doing so, I have to care about the package and updating it myself, as the distribution doesn't know about this.

I guess we're a bit spoiled on Gentoo with plenty of choices for about everything ;-)

Install rsyslog from AUR (yay -S  rsyslog) and plug the init script from Gentoo in (I assume it's OpenRC). The system update (sudo yay -Syu)  will take care of it. Your init script will not be touched since it's not in the rsyslog pkg.

Reply #9

I did mention using the AUR before.
In the rare case that something I want is not on the AUR I either compile it and keep it under my home dir or if I want it in the system I make my own PKGBUILD for it. That way pacman still knows about it. And if the PKGBUILD is properly constructed often updating is just editing a character or two in the PKGBUILD's 'pkgver=' and running makepkg again.

If you have experience with Gentoo ebuilds the PKGBUILD system should come easy. Imho they are a lot simpler to write.
Even if you don't it's still a skill worth learning https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_Build_System

Reply #10
Okay, apparently, I have to dive into all this a bit ;-) Thanks for all the help!

Reply #11
The easiest way that I can see to install google chrome is to go here: https://repo.herecura.eu/herecura/x86_64/google-chrome-103.0.5060.53-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
And then "pacman -U google-chrome-103.0.5060.53-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst".
Updates , when necessary, will be your own responsibility.  ;)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #12
The easiest way that I can see to install google chrome is to go here: https://repo.herecura.eu/herecura/x86_64/google-chrome-103.0.5060.53-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
And then "pacman -U google-chrome-103.0.5060.53-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst".
Updates , when necessary, will be your own responsibility.  ;)

Best regards.

Or use the herecura repo and it updates through pacman like normal artix packages.  I did post Instructions for that above
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #13

Or use the herecura repo and it updates through pacman like normal artix packages.  I did post Instructions for that above
Yes, but my way does not involve any changes to pacman.conf.  ;)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.