Skip to main content
Topic: How to get packages in Arch comunity repo? (Read 1159 times) previous topic - next topic

How to get packages in Arch comunity repo?

I'm trying to get VCVrack off of the AUR using yay, but it can't find some of the dependencies for it (I think 3 of them). Those packages that it can't find appear to not be in the main AUR, but instead the Arch community repo.

How do I configure yay to pull from the Arch community repo as well as the AUR? Or do I have to get Arch community packages another way? I at least want to be able to use "yay -Syu" to update these packages along with all of my others (I don't want to update them separately).

Edit: I saw this comment in another thread:

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,3597.msg23318.html#msg23318

But does this enable standard Pacman to access the Arch community repo, or just yay? I just want it to be yay because I want standard pacman commands to be for Artix repos only.

Re: How to get packages in Arch comunity repo?

Reply #2
one sec and let me check

this is for the top listed file on the list

ok check the screen shots.  ask me what else...  you must install all the build depends to build it from source.  the make depends are the compile tools you must install also
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #3
build depends won't automatically pull from aur with yay.  there will be a build order but it shouldn't be hard to figure that out as you go.  ps i use pamac for searching only... i build/install from command line only.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #4
build depends won't automatically pull from aur with yay.
Yes they will.
But does this enable standard Pacman to access the Arch community repo, or just yay? I just want it to be yay because I want standard pacman commands to be for Artix repos only.
If you enable the Arch repo's both pacman and yay have access to the both sets of repo's - Artix & Arch
You can tell yay to only work with AUR packages or only with repo packages, but you can't select which repo's yay uses AFAIK.

Reply #5
If you enable the Arch repo's both pacman and yay have access to the both sets of repo's - Artix & Arch
You can tell yay to only work with AUR packages or only with repo packages, but you can't select which repo's yay uses AFAIK.

So is there any reason to have yay anymore once I configure Pacman to include the AUR and the Arch community repo? Or should I just uninstall it?

Reply #6
ok check the screen shots.  ask me what else...  you must install all the build depends to build it from source.  the make depends are the compile tools you must install also

I think I'd rather install the pre-built binary package, if the package just called "vcvrack" in the AUR is what that is. This is the package that I tried to install before.

Reply #7
So is there any reason to have yay anymore once I configure Pacman to include the AUR and the Arch community repo? Or should I just uninstall it?
Pacman doesn't handle AUR packages. So you need an AUR helper, if you want to install / update AUR packages, of which yay is one of many.

Reply #8
Binary AUR packages are usually suffixed with -bin, so it's vcvrack-bin that is the prebuilt binary version. vcvrack will build the current stable release and vcvrack-git builds using the latest development code from the source git repo.

Reply #9
Pacman doesn't handle AUR packages. So you need an AUR helper, if you want to install / update AUR packages, of which yay is one of many.

But weren't you saying here that if I add the Arch repos into my pacman.conf, then I could use the pacman command instead of the yay command for each of those repos instead:

So does this mean that I would be able to use the pacman command to access the AUR and Arch community repo as long as I have yay or another AUR helper?

Reply #10
Binary AUR packages are usually suffixed with -bin, so it's vcvrack-bin that is the prebuilt binary version. vcvrack will build the current stable release and vcvrack-git builds using the latest development code from the source git repo.

Would vcvrack-bin have no dependencies then? Or is it equivalent to downloading the standard Vim package on Artix, which afaik is pre-compiled, but I think may have dependencies?

I think I'd rather install the pre-built binary package, if the package just called "vcvrack" in the AUR is what that is. This is the package that I tried to install before.

I think I meant pre-compiled, not pre-built. I just googled the difference between compiling and building, and it seems to me now like compiling means only the step in building that translates the source code into a lower-level form of code. I'm still relatively inexperienced with Linux and turning programs into runnable binaries as you might be able to tell.

Reply #11
But weren't you saying here that if I add the Arch repos into my pacman.conf, then I could use the pacman command instead of the yay command for each of those repos instead:

So does this mean that I would be able to use the pacman command to access the AUR and Arch community repo as long as I have yay or another AUR helper?
No you cannot use pacman to install or update AUR packages. Period.
You are talking yourself in circles a bit.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_User_Repository
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_helpers

Reply #12
You can look at the "depends" field in the PKGBUILD for vcvrack-bin:
https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=vcvrack-bin
Code: [Select]
depends=('alsa-lib' 'libglvnd')
Both of those are in the Artix "world" repo so you wouldn't need any extra repos to install that from the AUR. Use -Si with pacman (or an aur helper) to check things:
Code: [Select]
$ pacman -Si 'alsa-lib' 'libglvnd'
Aur helpers wrap pacman and add extra functionality to enable AUR packages to be used in the same way as regular ones, so far as the user experience goes, although what goes on under the hood is quite different for the two cases.  Wouldn't worry too much about the precise definition of building and compiling, well I don't but I might be a bad example in linguistic precision  ;D , there are many AUR packages that don't need any processing and are just plain files or scripts and are simply installed in the original downloaded form.