Skip to main content
Topic: How can I disable the keyboard on my Notebook? (Read 884 times) previous topic - next topic

How can I disable the keyboard on my Notebook?

Hello friends,
I have a problem with my keyboard. The constantly spams me the * character from the numpad. Would like to control my computer via an external keyboard and no longer via the integrated keyboard. Is it possible to set this up at boot time? Difficulty here is the input via a root password. If root privileges are needed to permanently save the settings, I first then needed a terminal command to disable the keyboard for the current session so that the keyboard does not mistype me the password. I have already opened my notebook and disconnected the keyboard contacts. After that, unfortunately, I could no longer start my notebook. So I have to stay with my above described attempt. Or can the integrated notebook keyboard already be deactivated via the BIOS? Please help me.
Lenovo Notebook: Artix KDE Runit

Re: How can I disable the keyboard on my Notebook?

Reply #1
Have you looked in the bios ?
Sometimes it's possible to adjust or disable POST errors.
Is there an option for that ?

Edit: That would hopefully allow the laptop to start without it's keyboard connected.
There may be an option to disable the keyboard but I don't remember seeing one in the past.

Reply #2
I did not find an entry in the Bios. In addition, the keyboard makes it difficult for me to navigate. The notebook makes itself and jumps to the next menu tabs automatically. I took pictures with my camera and somehow the pictures got a blue filter.

Reply #3
You got glare right where I wanted to see.
What is fast boot set as ? What are its options ?

Reply #4
Here in better view. enabled / disabled

Reply #5
Change to enabled. Fast boot = less tests on POST (boot)
Clutching at straws but it might skip the keyboard test?

Reply #7
not the question you asked to have answered but how much can a replacement keyboard cost?  15-25$ tops?
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #8
If you're handy with a screwdriver, you can just remove the battery/unplug thw device, open the machine up and disconnect the ribbon cable from the keyboard and then go from there.

Most likely what is happening is you have  a bit of grit or something in the key which is causing it to depress constantly, depending on the specific keyboard you can remove the keycap and give the switch a clean, super laptop dependent though.

Reply #9
I am very worried that the fast boot will lead me into a dead end so that I can no longer access my boot menu with my handycap. I am having difficulty navigating the boot menu. The keyboard constantly spams the right or tab key and switches me to the next menu bar every second. Do you have a terminal command to list the devices first. Then I need a command to turn off the selected driver.

If you're handy with a screwdriver, you can just remove the battery/unplug thw device, open the machine up and disconnect the ribbon cable from the keyboard and then go from there.

Most likely what is happening is you have  a bit of grit or something in the key which is causing it to depress constantly, depending on the specific keyboard you can remove the keycap and give the switch a clean, super laptop dependent though.

I have already done this and could not start the notebook afterwards. The power button is on the keyboard next to the * symbol.
I dropped water on the keyboard since then I have the problems.

Reply #10
I have already done this and could not start the notebook afterwards. The power button is on the keyboard next to the * symbol.
I dropped water on the keyboard since then I have the problems.
What a retarded place to put the power key... You probably shorted something with the water. If taking out the keyboard and drying it thoroughly with a hairdryer or something doesn't work, there's not much left besides ordering a used replacement. If you're VERY good with circuits, you could find the short with a multimeter and fix it, sometimes it only takes some rubbing with alcohol on the path to break the short.

Reply #11
ebay is your friend... depending on your model it could be as little as 11$ us... though there were a few for 100$.  depends on your model.  check ebay for your laptop model number.  lots of keyboards there.

Clearly this is the thing to do as you need a working keyboard to power the machine and blacklisting it as gripped suggested will likely mean no power on option.  Even he would agree after seeing that photo.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #12
What a retarded place to put the power key... You probably shorted something with the water. If taking out the keyboard and drying it thoroughly with a hairdryer or something doesn't work, there's not much left besides ordering a used replacement. If you're VERY good with circuits, you could find the short with a multimeter and fix it, sometimes it only takes some rubbing with alcohol on the path to break the short.

;D 100% true Yes, I thought the same thing when I tried the notebook without an internal keyboard. All I saw was black. This means that the contact cables for the internal keyboard must be connected in order to turn on the notebook. China knows how to boost their economy with their thoughtful design. I also had the idea 2 hours ago to dry the notebook with a hair dryer. Since I don't own a hair dryer, I bought a cheap one today. The hair dryer was now held to the keyboard of the notebook to dry the droplets that have passed the signal. I have exaggerated a bit with the hair dryer and have a pudding keyboard. But everything works now like before. The internal keyboard now gives some wrong signals when typing. To be honest, I don't care about that. I used an external keyboard earlier anyway and will continue to type with my external keyboard. The only thing that mattered to me was to fix the automatically spammed signals from my internal keyboard and to be able to turn it on. I do not like the flat keyboard.
Can you write me for the emergencies still the command with which one deactivates the internal keyboard?

Reply #13
Blacklisting the keyboard might break the power button?
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #14
Under each key is a bubble formed between 2 plastic sheets with conductive material on each side, pressed by the key mechanism above. Sometimes this can flake off and bridge the gap from age and use. It would be difficult for water to get in there though, I guess. There are fewer wires going out than buttons. The keys are connected in a matrix that is scanned and there are some electronics on the keyboard itself. I think this isn't a simple physical single button failure due to the symptoms as multiple keys are involved, there are probably shorted lines or failed electronic components involved. You can get corrosion on circuit boards from things getting wet, also shorts can cause permanent damage to electronic components. If you do this often then some laptops have spill resistant keyboards, that protect the internals and have drain channels to direct water safely out the bottom of the laptop!