Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Does anyone know how xlockmore sources personal information? (Read 466 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Does anyone know how xlockmore sources personal information?

I noticed that my screensaver is displaying my full real name at the bottom of the screen. This is wildly undesirable, and I have no idea where it's getting this info.

I checked the system settings app for Lxqt and KDE (I have both desktops available), and that doesn't explain it. Lxqt doesn't configure "Personal Information", and KDE PIM has my name listed with the proper fake values.

I don't think anything on my entire system, other than like some PDFs and emails, has my name in it. Where the hell is xlock sourcing this from?

Can anyone think of anything obvious I should check?

edit: Finger reports my name as "". That's not surprising, because my name does not appear in any file in `/etc`, at all.

Re: Does anyone know how xlockmore sources personal information?

Reply #1
If you have a mail client configured on your computer rather than using an online mail interface, could it be getting it from your email account? Just a guess, I suppose you could search the xlockmore source code to try and find out.

Reply #2
@####### Thanks for the reply. I do have KMail with multiple accounts. I am searching through the xlock source code, but I'm not familiar with it, and I haven't found anything yet.

I'm not aware of anything else that examines KMail's records this way. I was hoping someone would have some specific idea, but I'm sure that's quite the long shot. :|

Reply #3
strace shows every system call performed by the program. Seeing what it opens might give a clue.

Reply #4
I noticed that my screensaver is displaying my full real name at the bottom of the screen. This is wildly undesirable, and I have no idea where it's getting this info.

I checked the system settings app for Lxqt and KDE (I have both desktops available), and that doesn't explain it. Lxqt doesn't configure "Personal Information", and KDE PIM has my name listed with the proper fake values.

I don't think anything on my entire system, other than like some PDFs and emails, has my name in it. Where the hell is xlock sourcing this from?

Can anyone think of anything obvious I should check?

edit: Finger reports my name as "". That's not surprising, because my name does not appear in any file in `/etc`, at all.

How does it display your name? like just your name, or along with a message?

Reply #5
@Lancia At the bottom of the screen, there's small text that says the date, and on the next line, "-First-Name Last-Name" (with real values).

Reply #6
strace shows every system call performed by the program. Seeing what it opens might give a clue.

Nice! Great advice. It's opening `~/.signature`. And there it is. That's where my name is coming from.

Thanks!