Skip to main content
Topic: GRUB: symbol `grub_debug_malloc` not found (Read 2101 times) previous topic - next topic

GRUB: symbol `grub_debug_malloc` not found

I have updated my system and I'm having issues with GRUB, probably because of the recent changes (I followed the instructions in the link, but still there are issues).

When the computer boots up, grub stucks in rescue mode with the error
Code: [Select]
symbol `grub_debug_malloc` not found

I can still access the system through the F12 boot menu, so I removed grub-customizer (see Grub Error version_find_latest command not found) and grub, reinstalled only grub through pacman, ran sudo grub-install and sudo update-grub, but still at boot I get the same error.

EDIT: used efibootmgr and found that there are three UEFI entries (broken GRUB, Artix, Windows) instead of the expected two (Artix & Windows). For some reason efibootmgr can't edit the boot order or remove an EFI entry (reports success but at reboot the situation is unchanged), had to edit the boot order in the computer'sUEFI utility (that btw identifies both Artix and Windows as "Windows Boot Manager"...). Now it works (os-probe was able to detect Windows entry).

So the question is, how can I remove the broken UEFI entry?

Re: GRUB: symbol `grub_debug_malloc` not found

Reply #1
hi,
i had this error too because of a bad repair after i was hit on arch by the grub bug :p
normally, efibootmgr should be able to change the boot order and delete an entry.
After making a change with it, run efibootmgr again to be sure that the entry was deleted, and the boot order is correct.
And if that happens again afte reboot, you might have a not so recent bios/efi system.
In that case, maybe you can edit the boot order & deletee an entry from your computers efi utility ?

Reply #2
hi,
i had this error too because of a bad repair after i was hit on arch by the grub bug :p
normally, efibootmgr should be able to change the boot order and delete an entry.
After making a change with it, run efibootmgr again to be sure that the entry was deleted, and the boot order is correct.
Thanks, but I already checked. efibootmgr reports the entry as deleted and the boot order as I set, but once I reboot nothing has changed...

And if that happens again afte reboot, you might have a not so recent bios/efi system.
In that case, maybe you can edit the boot order & deletee an entry from your computers efi utility ?
No, my laptop has been launched in 2018, but the computer's EFI utility does not allow to delete entries

Reply #3
Your issue is completely unrelated to the Arch Linux news. That version of grub is not in Artix's stable repos. You have some different problem that I unfortunately do not know anything about.

Reply #4
Your issue is completely unrelated to the Arch Linux news. That version of grub is not in Artix's stable repos. You have some different problem that I unfortunately do not know anything about.

I hadn't updated in a while, so when I updated recently there was also a GRUB update and it stopped working... I thought it was because of the issue in Arch's news

Reply #5
I am getting this error as well after upgrading today.

error: symbol grub_debug_malloc not found

Just now starting to look into it.  Any assistance appreciated.

Reply #6
I am getting this error as well after upgrading today.

error: symbol grub_debug_malloc not found

Just now starting to look into it.  Any assistance appreciated.

Enable the PC's boot menu and see if there are any other available boot entries

Reply #7
I went into the laptops UEFI.  There were 2 NVRAM variables;

one labeled HDD and a bunch of parms after it.
and one labeled null.

I know I use Artix as my NVRAM variable, grubx64.efi is at /boot/efi/EFI/Artix/grubx64.efi.

What I did to "fix" (more like get it to boot);
  • I enabled Secure Boot (my UEFI requires it to make modifications), F10 to save.
  • then went back into UEFI and used the "find boot entries" or whatever option.  Artix was found, I selected it and enabled it.  Disabled Secure Boot, F10 to save.
  • Back into UEFI and set Artix to top position in list (above the HDD entry).  F10 to save.
  • Grub now boots into Artix.

Now my NVRAM variables are a bit of a mess, but at least I can boot.

Reply #9
Not sure if this has anything to do with why I had the problem, but after my upgrade today, I did run the 2 grub commands:

grub-install
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

The reason I ran them was because of the note on Archs site.

Reply #10
for now, the grub version in artix is 2:2.06.r297, which is fine (and was also fine in arch)
the version that had the bug in arch is the next one, 2:2.06.r322

Reply #11
I wonder if grub or something grub uses needs to be compiled/upgraded because a header or library it includes/accesses has been upgraded.  "symbol grub_debug_malloc not found" sounds like the current compiled grub executable wants this symbol, but its nolonger defined in a header/lib.