Skip to main content
Topic: Libguestfs mssing dependency (Read 492 times) previous topic - next topic

Libguestfs mssing dependency

Hey, me again, chose not to change topic of my recent post but I'm having this issue where I can't install the libguestfs package due to the systemd-sysvcompat package not being available under any repo I have (base Artix with lib32 and Universe plus base Arch).

What can I do? I just want to try messing around with QEMU/KVM and it seems to be needed.

Once again, thanks in advance.
sgal5208
someone.

Re: Libguestfs mssing dependency

Reply #1
If libguestfs is in the AUR, you can try downloading it and removing the systemd-sysvcompat from the PKGBUILD.

If not, you can also try manually compiling libguestfs.

Reply #2
I'm not sure we depend for any particular reason on systemd, so it might be an accidental dependency.  What was the precise error message?

Reply #3
If libguestfs is in the AUR, you can try downloading it and removing the systemd-sysvcompat from the PKGBUILD.

If not, you can also try manually compiling libguestfs.

libguestfs is only available as a git version on the AUR, systemd-sysvcompat is probably a required component which for some reason cannot be replaced by either integration or per-init versions.

the Arch repo that keeps it is core, which also keeps other systemd related things so adding it to Artix can be problematic.

I'm not sure we depend for any particular reason on systemd, so it might be an accidental dependency.  What was the precise error message?

Code: [Select]
[sgal@OpenMonoliths ~]$ sudo pacman -S libguestfs
[sudo] password for sgal:
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "systemd-sysvcompat", a dependency of "libguestfs"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      libguestfs

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N]
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'systemd-sysvcompat' required by libguestfs
[sgal@OpenMonoliths ~]$

Here it is. I'm unsure of what to do.
sgal5208
someone.

Reply #4
You don't have to get the AUR version. An archive of the files needed to build the arch version:
https://archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/libguestfs/download/

Extract to a new directory. Edit PKGBUILD and remove systemd-sysvcompat from _appliancedeps= section.

Try to build with
makepkg -s
add an 'i' to the options to install as well or use pacman -U on the resulting package
There's no libraries in systemd-sysvcompat. This is its contents
    usr/bin/halt
    usr/bin/init
    usr/bin/poweroff
    usr/bin/reboot
    usr/bin/shutdown
    usr/share/
    usr/share/man/
    usr/share/man/man8/
    usr/share/man/man8/halt.8.gz
    usr/share/man/man8/poweroff.8.gz
    usr/share/man/man8/reboot.8.gz
    usr/share/man/man8/shutdown.8.gz

I'd hazard a guess that libguestfs will build without systemd-sysvcompat but you'll possibly lose some functionality related to the above commands. I would try building it for fun myself but it has a horrendous list of dependencies so not going there.

Reply #5
You don't have to get the AUR version. An archive of the files needed to build the arch version:
https://archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/libguestfs/download/

Extract to a new directory. Edit PKGBUILD and remove systemd-sysvcompat from _appliancedeps= section.

Try to build with
makepkg -s
add an 'i' to the options to install as well or use pacman -U on the resulting package
There's no libraries in systemd-sysvcompat. This is its contents
I'd hazard a guess that libguestfs will build without systemd-sysvcompat but you'll possibly lose some functionality related to the above commands. I would try building it for fun myself but it has a horrendous list of dependencies so not going there.

After extracting the package you sent via the link, it doesn't seem to have a PKGBUILD file.

At this point, I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and dualbooting Artix with Linux Mint (bc I don't like Arch for the fact that there's no GUI installer that's officially supported) on a spare 512GB M.2 SATA SSD that I have that just has a basic Windows 10 installation that I never used.

#note that Artix is installed on a 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD.
sgal5208
someone.

Reply #6
>After extracting the package you sent via the link, it doesn't seem to have a PKGBUILD file.

So why not just build it from source?

Reply #7
After extracting the package you sent via the link, it doesn't seem to have a PKGBUILD file.
Very sorry I was thinking of the AUR webpage setup when I copied the link. The link I incorrectly posted is indeed just the package.

There's various ways to get the PKGBUILD and and other build files.

If you use yay you can just use
yay -G libguestfs
Other AUR helpers probably have similar functionality.

You can use asp
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_Build_System#Retrieve_PKGBUILD_source

In the case that a package is in the Artix repo's (this one isn't but it's worth mentioning) the Artix PKGBUILDS are here
https://gitea.artixlinux.org/explore/repos

You could just download the entire Arch community repo build files (37M , I just did!) extract and just keep the libguestfs dir , delete the rest.
There are many ways to get the build files.

Apologies again for the nonsense link I posted earlier.