Skip to main content
Topic: New laptop battery, random shutdown (Read 425 times) previous topic - next topic

New laptop battery, random shutdown

I bought  a new battery for my thinkpad. When charging, I see it randomly disconnects. When on battery, it randomly shuts down. So battery is full, I unplug it, I use it for 20 mins, then my laptop randomly shuts down. It's not low battery because I can power it up again without charging and use it for some random time again. Could this be a linux problem?
I'm a noob so I don't know what logs to send.

Re: New laptop battery, random shutdown

Reply #1
I suppose so but it seems more likely a battery problem if the issue only arose when you started using the new battery..
Do you still have the older battery ? Does it work in a more predictable fashion ?
When you say 'shutdown' does the laptop shutdown gracefully or just power off ?

Reply #2
it just powers off, same as if I unplug it without battery
old battery is dead, but it worked fine, that never happened

Reply #3
My moneys still on your new battery is faulty.

Does the laptop work predictably with the power plugged in and the battery out of the machine? My last laptop would do that but I don't know if all laptops can do so.

Reply #4
yes, it works fine when plugged in, both with battery in and out, and it also works perfectly fine when unplugged, just that it powers off randomly

Reply #5
You could also look in your BIOS and desktop power management settings, usually there are different ones for AC and battery operation, you can have settings that would shut down after a period of inactivity, which usually means if you don't touch the keyboard or touchpad for x minutes it might do things like shut down, hibernate, lock the screen etc. - screensavers can have their own settings too. Even if the battery behaves differently possibly some setting would help. I had an aftermarket battery once that would never show as fully charged, but the charge light always blinked slowly and it only went to showing 90%, worked fine though, it was just different from the OE one. It does sound like it could be a faulty battery though, you could try and see if anything was wrong with the electrical connectors, like dirt or debris causing a bad contact, probably unlikely. Some batteries have a test button you can press and LED indicator lights.