Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Device Drivers not Loading (Read 511 times) previous topic - next topic

Device Drivers not Loading

Seemingly overnight, my install of Artix Linux began to no longer recognize any devices. Connman couldn't find any technologies, Xorg couldn't find /dev/dri/card0, and I was unable to mount a FAT transfer partition without it throwing up an error saying that the previously mountable partition could not be mounted because it didn't recognize the file system. From what I've read, this would likely be a kernel issue.
The solution in this post didn't seem to work. I'll probably end up copying my documents over to the FAT partition and reinstalling Artix using my USB. Before I did that, however, I wanted to see if anyone knew a good solution to the problem. If there are error logs, I'd be happy to provide them if you point them out.

Thanks!

Thinkpad T14 Gen 2.
Ryzen 7 Pro 5850U
Dual Booted Artix & Windows 10
16 GB RAM

Re: Device Drivers not Loading

Reply #1
Sounds like failing hardware including the disk.  Does a live boot from an ISO work?  Or seem to work?  I'd back up that drive first priority.

Reply #2
Sounds like failing hardware including the disk.  Does a live boot from an ISO work?  Or seem to work?  I'd back up that drive first priority.
I don't think the hardware is failing. The laptop is only a year or so old and the Windows partitions are functioning normally.
Live boot from an ISO does work. I'm able to chroot in just fine.
I already backed up the drive just in case.

Reply #3
If there are error logs, I'd be happy to provide them if you point them out.
The output of
Code: [Select]
 sudo dmesg
I'd guess at a mismatch between kernel and modules, or a bad initramfs?
But without any error messages purely a guess.

Also try just reinstalling your kernel.

Reply #4
The output of
 sudo dmesg
I'd guess at a mismatch between kernel and modules, or a bad initramfs?
But without any error messages purely a guess.

I would also suggest logs from the syslog daemon if you have one installed, if not, install metalog and send us logs from it.

I would also make another suggestion, just to be sure, use smartctl(1) to check the health of your drive:
# smartctl --health /dev/sdX

Reply #5
Sorry for the very delayed response! Busy weekend.

I managed to fix the problem. Turns out, I bungled my set up of the boot directory when I set up the dual booting. Now that I've fixed it (and after a kernel update and reboot), I'm able to load into a graphical environment and connect to the internet just fine.

Thanks for all the help!