Skip to main content
Topic: a slew of python-cairo errors on upgrade (Read 723 times) previous topic - next topic

a slew of python-cairo errors on upgrade

Code: [Select]

python-cairo: /usr/include/pycairo/py3cairo.h exists in filesystem
python-cairo: /usr/lib/pkgconfig/py3cairo.pc exists in filesystem
python-cairo: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__init__.py exists in filesystem
python-cairo: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__init__.pyi exists in filesystem
python-cairo: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/_cairo.cpython-310-x86_64-linux-gnu.so exists in filesystem
python-cairo: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/include/py3cairo.h exists in filesystem
python-cairo: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/py.typed exists in filesystem
python-cairo: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pycairo-1.23.0.egg-info exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

should i just delete them each in turn or is there a better way?
Cat Herders of Linux

Re: a slew of python-cairo errors on upgrade

Reply #1
did you get an error when trying to do an update per chance?   This has been posted a few times around the web in recent days concerning cairo/python.   I did this and afterwards, full update worked a treat:

sudo mv /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc.bak

i have no idea why, as one machine did it, another didn't (its a cached thing, i think py's are just cached python byte code that are created on the fly anyway, and not a part of a package), but here's a thread from an arch forum that might shed light on it if you're bored and fancy a read:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=281783

Reply #2
Well see.... my system wouldn't boot and rather find out why after running fsck or whatever that command is to check partitions are fine, i instead used a weekly updated iso to reinstall my system without formatting it and this was the result:  my databases have errors any python cairo is acting up but my system boots, so problem mostly solved.  not the right way by any means but it does function-ish.  :)

also, TY!  i will try that!
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #3
cool, if by any chance that doesn't allow you to update fully afterwards, there's also the sledgehammer and force the updates too:: 

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite '*'

Reply #4
sudo mv /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc.bak

mv: cannot stat '/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc': No such file or directory
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #5
cool, if by any chance that doesn't allow you to update fully afterwards, there's also the sledgehammer and force the updates too:: 

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite '*'

:: Processing package changes...

error: could not create directory /var/lib/pacman/local/tzdata-2022g-1/: File exists

guess i try moving that to a backup file also?   did a bunch of those.  pastebin below.

https://pastebin.com/Pt4z9VqA

Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #6
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system is up to date
world is up to date
galaxy is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
error: duplicated database entry 'xz'
error: duplicated database entry 'esysusers'
error: duplicated database entry 'sed'
error: duplicated database entry 'libelf'
error: duplicated database entry 'mpfr'
error: duplicated database entry 'webkit2gtk-4.1'
error: duplicated database entry 'libnftnl'
error: duplicated database entry 'glib2'
error: duplicated database entry 'libxcursor'
error: duplicated database entry 'rubberband'
error: duplicated database entry 'btrfs-progs'
error: duplicated database entry 'webkit2gtk'
error: duplicated database entry 'wayland'
error: duplicated database entry 'adwaita-icon-theme'
error: duplicated database entry 'etmpfiles'
error: duplicated database entry 'luajit'
error: duplicated database entry 'iputils'
error: duplicated database entry 'cryptsetup'
error: duplicated database entry 'udev'

this is the other error i got that i thought i could ignore but apparently can not.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #7
fooey, mmm...that's getting way beyond just the cario/python error.   Hopefully somebody else will chip in too, 'cause I really don't want to risk borking your machine!  but just on the off chance -

sudo mv /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.opt-1.pyc /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc.bak

or indeed navigate to that folder and rename the single file content manually in a FM.

looking at my file, the name changed a bit (again) and as your using a weeklu  .iso.   Doubt it'll make any difference, but hey, worth a shot.

Reply #8
fooey, mmm...that's getting way beyond just the cario/python error.  Hopefully somebody else will chip in too, 'cause I really don't want to risk borking your machine!  but just on the off chance -

sudo mv /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.opt-1.pyc /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo/__pycache__/__init__.cpython-310.pyc.bak

looking at my file, the name changed a bit (again) and as your using a weeklu  .iso.  Doubt it'll make any difference, but hey, worth a shot.
i got the update to run.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #9
you're all good?  or just the python/cairo errors gone?

Reply #10
no not all good.  today i rebooted the system and it failed to boot again.  seems i'm going in circles....  i may have to do a fresh install by creating a new partition until i can sort this mess out through the logs to see what's going on.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #11
with an boot usb, chroot to your OS.
uninstall python cairo.
pacman -Rnsdd python-cairo
then remove this directory
rm -r /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo
then install the package as dependency (if you need this package, mainly used for virt)
pacman -S --asdeps python-cairo

Reply #12

with an boot usb, chroot to your OS.
uninstall python cairo.
pacman -Rnsdd python-cairo
then remove this directory
rm -r /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/cairo
then install the package as dependency (if you need this package, mainly used for virt)
pacman -S --asdeps python-cairo

what's the thing to install again for artix-chroot?
Cat Herders of Linux