Skip to main content
Topic: Plasma-Workspace Missing Klipper Module (not a separate module- hardcoded) (Read 921 times) previous topic - next topic

Plasma-Workspace Missing Klipper Module (not a separate module- hardcoded)

Hi,

Suddenly after KDE update klipper (kde's advance clipboard software that is harcoded into plasma-workspace and is its integral non-removable part) is missing from KDE. The tray icon is there but nothing appears in the applet (although single items on  ctrl+c ctrl+v works). Klipper always remains empty.

Klipper cannot be configured either (left or right click on the icon and trying to set clipboard doesn't open anything- no settings are opened; the button to set klipper is clickable but nothing happens. Dummy button).

$ output:
pacman -Ss plasma-workspace
world/plasma-workspace 5.26.5-1.4 (plasma) [installed]
    KDE Plasma Workspace
world/plasma-workspace-wallpapers 5.26.5-1 (plasma)
    Additional wallpapers for the Plasma Workspace
extra/plasma-workspace 5.26.5-2 (plasma) [installed: 5.26.5-1.4]
    KDE Plasma Workspace
extra/plasma-workspace-wallpapers 5.26.5-1 (plasma)
    Additional wallpapers for the Plasma Workspace

Re: Plasma-Workspace Missing Klipper Module (not a separate module- hardcoded)

Reply #1
Workaround:
Code: [Select]
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libZXing.so /usr/lib/libZXing.so.1

Explanation:
zxing-cpp was updated.
.so number changed.
plasma-workspace needs a rebuild or use the workaround.

Reply #2
Workaround:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libZXing.so /usr/lib/libZXing.so.1

Explanation:
zxing-cpp was updated.
.so number changed.
plasma-workspace needs a rebuild or use the workaround.
With "rebuild" do you mean building from source/reinstalling the package/quitting and starting the process? Or is it something else?
(Sorry if I sounded rude)

Reply #3
Library not found breaks after an update recovery procedures:
The safest way is to not update until all the packages that are installed on one's system are ready at the same level at the time of the update.

1) If the library update break did occur then manually install the older version with:
# pacman -U </var/cache/pacman/pkg/${package name-previous version}.zst

The Artix repositories will all be synchronized with the new version of the libraries over time. Usually it does not take too long and one can then update normally again.

2) If you cannot wait:
There many ways to go about this. Beware you are now in total control and can make big mistakes if your knowledge is lacking. Be sure to check out the documentation on pacman, makepkg first. One has to know their tools before use to prevent injury to one's system or yourself or both when nothing works.

The simplest way to update a package is to just download the PKGBUILD (plus any extra files in the package) then run:
$ cd ${download folder containing the PKGBUILD (+files if they exist) location}
$ ${editor of choice} PKGBUILD
$ makepkg -i
Always check and verify the PKGBUILD file first before running "makepkg -i". If any other files are present it is a good idea to check them as well.
The package will build and install as a local package.

One can use an AUR helper (many flavours exist). Pick one that allows rebuilding of all packages not just the AUR packages. It is important to be sure to check/verify the PKGBUILD file and any associated files yourself during the process. Note that AUR helpers are not supported by either Artix nor Arch. Well AUR is not supported either so it is all the same.

An advanced way would be to create your own repository for holding your custom packages. The Arch wiki describes how to create a local file repository and how to sign the packages if you want to guarantee that the package has not be modified since the build due to some corruption or malice. One would then list it as their first repository in /etc/pacman.conf so that your custom packages are used by default.

When one builds packages locally and uses then you are in total control and can modify it's PKGBUILD for any custom requirements if you want.

Once the application has been updated/rebuilt and linked with the new version of the library then installed, those running failures of not finding the library will vanish after the update of the system.

Reply #4
With "rebuild" do you mean building from source/reinstalling the package/quitting and starting the process? Or is it something else?
(Sorry if I sounded rude)
I detect no rudeness  ?  :D

I was too brief. I meant the package needs rebuilding. But I meant by the devs. Which will happen at some point. Often very quickly.
You can also source the build files and build it locally, as @jspaces points out. This is something I've given up suggesting myself as
it seemed to confuse most people.
But if you do that what happens is the build process will automatically link against the new library version .
In case you go down this route
git clone https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packagesP/plasma-workspace.git
will get you the Artix version of the build files.

I'd be dubious with the downgrade option for a package such as plasma-workspace as its too intertwined with the rest of KDE/Plasma.

It's correct that just waiting is the safest thing. But frustrating.
Creating a soft link is a bit of a hack but gets the job done and works more often than not in my experience.
There's a bit more info about that in this thread including some caveats https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,4853.0.html.

Reply #5
I detect no rudeness  ?  :D

I was too brief. I meant the package needs rebuilding. But I meant by the devs. Which will happen at some point. Often very quickly.
You can also source the build files and build it locally, as @jspaces points out. This is something I've given up suggesting myself as
it seemed to confuse most people.
But if you do that what happens is the build process will automatically link against the new library version .
In case you go down this route
git clone https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packagesP/plasma-workspace.git
will get you the Artix version of the build files.

I'd be dubious with the downgrade option for a package such as plasma-workspace as its too intertwined with the rest of KDE/Plasma.

It's correct that just waiting is the safest thing. But frustrating.
Creating a soft link is a bit of a hack but gets the job done and works more often than not in my experience.
There's a bit more info about that in this thread including some caveats https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,4853.0.html.
Thank you for responding and for the info.
(I just now read the reply from @jspaces and feel really dumb)

Reply #6
rebuilding has been done; pls test

artist

Reply #8
Works for me with latest update. :)
Thanks.

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.