Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: boost-libs fails to update to 1.81 from 1.80 dependancy required by boost (Read 753 times) previous topic - next topic

boost-libs fails to update to 1.81 from 1.80 dependancy required by boost

Code: [Select]
~ > sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for karson777:
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system is up to date
 world is up to date
 galaxy is up to date
 universe is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community                          7.2 MiB  2.19 MiB/s 00:03 [#################################] 100%
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing boost-libs (1.81.0-2) breaks dependency 'boost-libs=1.80.0' required by boost

**update: has been fixed**

Mixing Arch and Artix repositories.

Reply #1
~ > sudo pacman -Syu
[sudo] password for karson777:
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system is up to date
 world is up to date
 galaxy is up to date
 universe is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community                          7.2 MiB  2.19 MiB/s 00:03 [#################################] 100%
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing boost-libs (1.81.0-2) breaks dependency 'boost-libs=1.80.0' required by boost

boost abd boost-libs in the Artix "world" repository is both at 1.80.0, and they would install/ upgrade fine.

However, Arch is already at version 1.81.0, so if you have added the Archlinux "extra" repository and some other packages from Archlinux' repositories got updated and requires the newer boost-libs, it would force Arch's extra/boost-libs and thus creating the issue.

I had this with gnuradio (which is only in "community", an Arch repository, and not in an Artix repository).

Note that mixing Arch repositories with Artix repositories is unsupported.

This time it is not a problem with Artix repositories, but it seems with mixing of Arch and Artix repositories on your side.

You need to skip ignore upgrade for the package that depends on Arch's boost-libs.

Regards!

Re: boost-libs fails to update to 1.81 from 1.80 dependancy required by boost

Reply #2
It looks like the universe libreoffice-fresh package has a boost-libs library break directly and not the result of mixing the Arch's language packages.

I tried going back a version but previous version has the "libtiff" issue preventing using it.
Gremlins did not appear to have the latest boost and boost-libs versions, thus I wanted to see if building and installing them would address this issue.
Only to be greeted with this after it was all said and done:
$ /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin 
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_locale.so.1.80.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I manually downloaded the libreoffice-fresh package files, built and installed libreoffice-fresh.
Libreoffice is now functioning normally.
This is quite a large package to build so one may want to install it from Arch packages directly if you are in a critical situation to get libreoffice running again with the caveats of mixing stuff from Artix and Arch.

Be warned that boost library breakage will occur with any other linked application not built against the new version.
So be prepared for other programs needing at least a re-built/install when they fail to start.

The safest way is just to wait until the new version is released in universe if you can afford the time for libreoffice to work again.
When I checked Artix's trunk version, the PKGBUILD has the latest version so it will be coming fairly soon I would think.

Reply #3
Builds of libreoffice-fresh and libreoffice-still are currently running; if there are no issues these should be in universe and omniverse respectively in about 12 hours.
Thank you for your patience.

artist

Reply #4
libreoffice-still has been updated; libreoffice-fresh wil be tomorrow (CET) morning

artist

Reply #5
libreoffice-fresh has just been updated in the universe repo, and should be available on the mirrors soon

artist