Skip to main content
Topic: basestrap /mnt vim -- vim doesnt work. Bash doesnt find the command (Read 457 times) previous topic - next topic

basestrap /mnt vim -- vim doesnt work. Bash doesnt find the command

Hello, sry for doing another thread. So, i installed all the packages I need, also vim (tried neovim but same problem) vim is installed according to my vm (im install base artix openrc) and bash does not find the vim command.

bash: vim: command not found

im trying to edit /etc/locale,gen

thx

Re: basestrap /mnt vim -- vim doesnt work. Bash doesnt find the command

Reply #1
Were there any errors while installing vim? What does this command show?

Code: [Select]
which vim

Reply #2
Were there any errors while installing vim? What does this command show?

which vim
following is the output

which: no vim in (/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl)

Reply #3
Have you moved to a new environment?

artix-chroot /mnt /bin/bash

If that doesn't work, you can try another editor (like micro). You can also try exiting the chroot and editing files directly in /mnt by doing this

exit #if you didn't leave the chroot
pacman -S vim
vim /mnt/etc/locale.gen

Reply #4
Have you moved to a new environment?

artix-chroot /mnt /bin/bash

If that doesn't work, you can try another editor (like micro). You can also try exiting the chroot and editing files directly in /mnt by doing this

exit #if you didn't leave the chroot
pacman -S vim
vim /mnt/etc/locale.gen

But im on a live iso, why do i need to get into there? am i not already there? or is that because on the vm im theoretically on a usb stick and by chrooting im then on the atual harddrive? the imaginary one? And yes im in, thank you very much!
(new to linux sry, also where can you learn linux in depth? I mean, learn deeply how adn why everything functions. was trying to install gentoo yesterday it was a bit too hard D:)

also, when im done with editing this should I go back to the virtual usb stick-iso or stay at the local virtual harddrive?

Reply #5
Everything worked out? Yes, when you are completely done with setting up a new system, you must exit the chroot.

I don't know how best to learn linux...

Reply #6
Everything worked out? Yes, when you are completely done with setting up a new system, you must exit the chroot.

I don't know how best to learn linux...

I just came into an error when typing
grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/vda
Im doing it like this because for some reason my vm is legacy and not uefi, and it gave me the following output
https://ibb.co/VSKw2rJ