Skip to main content
Topic: Can't login after new driver. Nothing works. (Read 1668 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't login after new driver. Nothing works.

https://ibb.co/BfjP4pB

Hello, big mess, relatively new to Linux never had that. Don't even know where to start.

So, 

I have a 3080, had the nouveau drivers and installed the new ones so that I can play AAA games, With
*doas pacman -S Nvidia nvidia-utils Nvidia-settings vulkan-icdetc. And some more*
Now, to where the actual problem lies,
It was my first time following an arch wikipage without post or video, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA

Step 5 tells me: Remove kms from the HOOKS array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and regenerate the initramfs. This will prevent the initramfs from containing the nouveau module making sure the kernel cannot load it during early boot.

Which is what I did, with root privileges because normal wouldn't work. I then rebooted, and the Pic is what happens. (Dunno if helpful but it also says nvidia-uvm failed) I login, doesn't work, gives me xserver output on Pic and I'm back at login.

I cannot even really log into my machine, how am I even supposed to fix anything? Pls help me, I have important stuff on there.

_______
Artiix with openrc, i9 11th Gen and a 3080

Re: Can't login after new driver. Nothing works.

Reply #1
Your picture shows a login prompt.
So you can log in. you're just missing a GUI. You should not have lost any of your important stuff. Though if it's important you should have backups!

What is the output of
Code: [Select]
pacman -Q |grep nvidia
Edit:
And
uname -a

Reply #2
Your picture shows a login prompt.
So you can log in. you're just missing a GUI. You should not have lost any of your important stuff. Though if it's important you should have backups!

What is the output of
pacman -Q |grep nvidia
Edit:
And
uname -a
N9nono. That's the problem. When I login, it gives me the xserver output and the login prompt. I always get sent back to the login! AFAIK kms had something to do with tty, tty1  is in the login prompt perhaps kms was something to login?

Reply #3
N9nono. That's the problem. When I login, it gives me the xserver output and the login prompt. I always get sent back to the login! AFAIK kms had something to do with tty, tty1  is in the login prompt perhaps kms was something to login?
What about other tty's.
Try CTRL-ALT-F2, CTRL-ALT-F7

Reply #4
What about other tty's.
Try CTRL-ALT-F2, CTRL-ALT-F7
F2  worked, im in. Wow didn't know this existed. At all. I'm amazed, I will now proceed with what you first told me,

First one is following output:
Lib32-nvidia-utils 525.85.05-1
Nvidia 525.85.05.-5
Nvidia-settings 525.85.05-1
Nvidia-utils 525.85.05-1

Second thing:
Linux sossart 6.1.8-artix1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC (my date and time) +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

----------

Should I just add kms to initramfs again? All videos didn't use that step but arch wiki told me to. Tbh, didn't even know what it's for. Also, since I use ssd, I read  https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/when-it-makes-sense-to-load-nvidia-modules-into-initramfs-drm-kernel-mode-setting/198266 that I should also add Nvidia, nvidia-uvm etc. To the initramfs.

Reply #5
I have a Nvidia card and kms is included in the mkinitcpio.conf file.
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf kms keyboard keymap consolefont block filesystems fsck)

For the driver itself I use the nvidia-dkms package which allows it build the nvidia modules for all the kernels one has installed including stock and custom.
The one thing that cost you is that the modules are built during the installation which results in a longer time to complete the update.

Reply #6
If you can post the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log
The output of
sudo dmesg
The output of
lsmod

You could pipe the output to files eg sudo dmesg > dmesg.txt and mount the drive from a Live iso to get them or,
you could copy to a usb stick so that you can transfer to a system with a GUI.

Or install pastebinit and
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit -b paste.debian.net
lsmod | pastebinit -b paste.debian.net
su
dmesg | pastebinit -b paste.debian.net
Post all three links

Reply #7
I have a Nvidia card and kms is included in the mkinitcpio.conf file.
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf kms keyboard keymap consolefont block filesystems fsck)

For the driver itself I use the nvidia-dkms package which allows it build the nvidia modules for all the kernels one has installed including stock and custom.
The one thing that cost you is that the modules are built during the installation which results in a longer time to complete the update.
I added kms back, same problem,

Should I add all Nvidia things to initramfs as the link said online, and also let Nvidia create a xorg configuration like it says on https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA
At 2.1

Reply #8
kms is not relevant. I don't have it in my hooks. I use the nvidia driver.
I'd advise you change nothing else and post what I suggested.

For most setups you don't need a xorg.conf
Do you have one ?
What is the output of
ls -al /etc/X11/*
ls -al /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*

Reply #9
If you can post the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log
The output of
sudo dmesg
The output of
lsmod

You could pipe the output to files eg sudo dmesg > dmesg.txt and mount the drive from a Live iso to get them or,
you could copy to a usb stick so that you can transfer to a system with a GUI.

Or install pastebinit and
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit -b paste.debian.net
lsmod | pastebinit -b paste.debian.net
su
dmesg | pastebinit -b paste.debian.net
Post all three links

Xorg log is : paste.debian.net/1270775/
Lsmod: paste.debian.net/1270776/
Dmesg: paste.debian.net/1270777/

Reply #10
The Nvidia driver is mentioned nowhere at all ?
What output do you get if you run
sudo modprobe -a nvidia nvidia_drm nvidia_uvm nvidia_modeset

Reply #11
The Nvidia driver is mentioned nowhere at all ?
What output do you get if you run
sudo modprobe -a nvidia nvidia_drm nvidia_uvm nvidia_modeset

None of them are found in the /lib/modules/6.1.8-artix1-1
Did I need to install them?

Reply #12
In the interest of getting your gui back asap try the dkms version of the driver.
sudo pacman -S nvidia-dkms
Reboot.

Edit:
Won't hurt to reinstall the lot
sudo pacman -S nvidia-dkms lib32-nvidia-utils nvidia-utils

Reply #13
In the interest of getting your gui back asap try the dkms version of the driver.
Reboot.

Edit:
Did it. What about the rest like nvidia-settings etc.? I rebooted, the output of modprobe is now:
The same. Not found

Reply #14
Reboot.

Edit:
Did it. What about the rest like nvidia-settings etc.? I rebooted, the output of modprobe is now:
The same. Not found
Also shouldn't I also install the linux-headers when getting dkms
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support#Installation

Arch also says following::
nvidia may not boot on Linux 5.18 (or later) on systems with Intel CPUs (likely only of 11th Gen and onward) due to FS#74886/FS#74891. Until this is fixed, a workaround is disabling the Indirect Branch Tracking CPU security feature by setting the ibt=off kernel parameter from the bootloader. This security feature is responsible for mitigating a class of exploit techniques, but is deemed safe as a temporary stopgap solution.