Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] warning: cannot resolve "libelf=0.189", a dependency of "lib32-libelf" (Read 2332 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] warning: cannot resolve "libelf=0.189", a dependency of "lib32-libelf"

Hello, I have problems regarding my videogames and wanted to try and pacman -Syu, but got following message.

"
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "libelf=0.189", a dependency of "lib32-libelf"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
lib32-libelf

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N]
"

What shall I do? how do I fix this? is this package importatn, afaik somethign with video drivers??

Also perhaps somebody knows a few tipps but this post isnt about that.

I play Garrys mod on Artix linux, with a 3080, I911th gen, 21 gigs of ram, and steam with Protn 9.0-6 (Steam usually comes with proton installed) And here are the problems I generally have please help me fix them.

1. Gmod - has only sound after fresh PC restart when I first start garrys mod, when closing and starting again without PC restart there is no sound.
1.1 Gmod crashes when joining most servers - While loading it just closes.
-
All gmod problems persist even after reinstalling, (the joining part also isnt fixed even after a pc restart unlike with the sound problem) I tried also to change betas which didnt work, and to delete all addons which didnt work.
-
2.  I wanted to try to update my PC system with "pacman -Syu" but after its synchronizing the package databses and plans on updating it gives me the following message and i dont know what to do.

Re: warning: cannot resolve "libelf=0.189", a dependency of "lib32-libelf"

Reply #1
Both libelf and lib32-libelf are at 0.188 in our repos, 0.189 is in Arch's [multilib-testing].

Reply #2
Both libelf and lib32-libelf are at 0.188 in our repos, 0.189 is in Arch's [multilib-testing].
So I disabled multilib testing AND multilib, cleared the pacman cache, and it still doesnt fix the problem.
I also wanted to install obs, but this gives me problems with the libavcodec package, so i wanted to install the new version of ffmpeg but that gives me following error

erorr: failed to prepare transaction (coudl not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing ffmpeg (2:6.0-3) breaks dependency 'libacodec.so=59-64' required by chromaprint
Ans many other similar lines, reqauired by mpv some other things etc.
I suppose I can fix this by generally updating my system but there we are at my first problem again.

even Chat opnai couldnt help me, and said to continue asking here. (is it embarrasing to use chatgpt for linux help? kinda right?)

Reply #3
:: installing ffmpeg (2:6.0-3) breaks dependency 'libacodec.so=59-64' required by chromaprint
I suppose I can fix this by generally updating my system but there we are at my first problem again.
Most of these errors are due to slow mirror syncs or slight delays of package builds. Patience is the key here.

even Chat opnai couldnt help me, and said to continue asking here. (is it embarrasing to use chatgpt for linux help? kinda right?)
I used it a couple of times myself to generate openrc scripts, but I'd never use it to give me sociopolitical advice.

Reply #4
Most of these errors are due to slow mirror syncs or slight delays of package builds. Patience is the key here.

I used it a couple of times myself to generate openrc scripts, but I'd never use it to give me sociopolitical advice.
so i should just wait until i can pacman -syu?

Reply #7
Could you post the full output of
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -Syu
And also
pacman -Qi lib32-libelf
It seems odd that in your first post
warning: cannot resolve "libelf=0.189", a dependency of "lib32-libelf"
Yet my lib32-libelf seems up to date and only depends on 0.188 ?
pacman -Qi lib32-libelf
Name            : lib32-libelf
Version         : 0.188-1
Depends On      : lib32-bzip2  lib32-curl  lib32-gcc-libs  lib32-xz  lib32-zlib  lib32-zstd  libelf=0.188

Reply #9
multi-lib testing, any reason that's enabled?   libeldf is on 188 in mutlilb, testing is on 189.  On the face of it, reckon thats the root of the issue, enabling a testing repo.

Reply #10
doas pacman -S lib32/lib32-libelf
doas pacman -Syu
Comment out the testing repo(s)
Unless you really know what you are doing if you want one testing repo enabled you really need to enable all the Artix ones.

Reply #11
multi-lib testing, any reason that's enabled?   libeldf is on 188 in mutlilb, testing is on 189.  On the face of it, reckon thats the root of the issue, enabling a testing repo.
I just reanabled them, same problem if its not enabled

Reply #12
@gripped
as far as i remember i had one package fcrom the testing but i commented it out anyways now, here the output.

Reply #13
Do me a favour and copy and paste in code tags. It's far easier to read than a screen shot

Delete or move all lib32-libelf* files in /var/cache/pacman/pkg
Then try again.

Reply #14
Do me a favour and copy and paste in code tags. It's far easier to read than a screen shot

Delete or move all lib32-libelf* files in /var/cache/pacman/pkg
Then try again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

just found out how to copy :) alt+c

And after I removed it from the directory
Spoiler (click to show/hide)