Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: libreoffice-still: Depends on wrong version of liborcus, fails to start. (Read 828 times) previous topic - next topic

libreoffice-still: Depends on wrong version of liborcus, fails to start.

omniverse/libreoffice-still depends on wrong version of world/liborcus:

Preparation to make sure things are up to date and from the correct repositories:

Code: [Select]
pacman -Syu
pacman -S --asdeps world/liborcus
pacman -S omniverse/libreoffice-still

Running libreoffice
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: liborcus-0.17.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Current package versions:

• pacman -Q liborcus
    liborcus 0.18.1-1
  • pacman -Q libreoffice-still
    libreoffice-still 7.4.6-1

Doing the unsupported thing and installing extra/liborcus (version 0.17.2-4) from the Arch repositories makes libreoffice-still happy.

Regards!

Re: libreoffice-still: Depends on wrong version of liborcus, fails to start.

Reply #1
Oh, nice find. Though I installed libreoffice-fresh from Artix repos (I don't mix with Arch at all) today and it also doesn't work. It segfaults/crashes. Here's my message on this forum. Don't know how to fix it :-/

Reply #3
omniverse/libreoffice-still depends on wrong version of world/liborcus:
[...]
Running libreoffice: 
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: liborcus-0.17.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Current package versions:
  • liborcus 0.18.1-1
  • libreoffice-still 7.4.6-1

Doing the unsupported thing and installing extra/liborcus (version 0.17.2-4) from the Arch repositories makes libreoffice-still happy.

I now see that a quick workaround has appeared in the omniverse repository:

• omniverse/libreoffice-still 7.4.6-1.1 now depends on liborcus=0.17.2,
  • there appeared an omniverse/liborcus 0.17.2-4

With omniverse/liborcus 0.17.2-4, omniverse/libreoffice-still 7.4.6-1.1 works.

But there is also a world/liborcus 0.18.1-1.

Looks like a quick and dirty workaround, since now there are two different liborcus versions in the Artix repositories.

It requires manual intervention at every update (to ignore liborcus), and might break other things, if other packages are linked agaonst world/liborcus 0.18.1-1.

I highly recommend that omniverse/libreoffice-still gets linked against up to date world/liborcus.

Regards!

Reply #4
liborcus 0.18.1-1, and also mdds 2.1.0, were probably not yet supposed to be available.
Also, libreoffice does not build with it.
So it's best to keep liborcus 0.18.1-1 on 0.17.2 and mdds on 2.0.3 using ignorepkg in pacman.conf, and downgrade using https://archive.artixlinux.org/ if needed.
The only packages that depend on liborcus should be LO-fresh and -still.

artist

Downgrade, and increment $epoch?

Reply #6
liborcus 0.18.1-1, and also mdds 2.1.0, were probably not yet supposed to be available.

Thanks for the explanation.

I am courious: Why then did they get available?

So it's best to keep liborcus 0.18.1-1 on 0.17.2 and mdds on 2.0.3 using ignorepkg in pacman.conf, and downgrade using https://archive.artixlinux.org/ if needed.

Would a clean solution to users then be to "downgrade" them to the older version, and increment $epoch, so that automatic update calculation solves the issue? If they should not be available, they should be replaced by the versions that should be available.

It would also break fresh installations, where people do not search the forum to find this discussion here (which cannot be assumed).

Regards!