Skip to main content
Topic: Downgrading Packages from Archive as Solution for Broken Dependancies (Read 373 times) previous topic - next topic

Downgrading Packages from Archive as Solution for Broken Dependancies

The case of mismatched repositories and broken dependencies.

Imho, downgrading packages from Archive as solution for broken dependencies , is not a (long term) solution.  The example being Libre Office. If the libreoffice-fresh does not start (it complains about some mysterious/fake broken file to be supposedly in need to be recoverd and then crashes) and libreoffice-still does not show anything (does not start either) then the solution to downgrade a dependency package from the Artix archive and downgrading other one is not a solution.

The repositories are mismatched:

Here is the code:
pacman -Ss liborcus
world/liborcus 0.18.1-1 [installed]
    File import filter library for spreadsheet documents.
extra/liborcus 0.17.2-4 [installed: 0.18.1-1]
    File import filter library for spreadsheet documents.

So libreoffice requires the version from extra, but the world has newer version.

So now what?

Re: Downgrading Packages from Archive as Solution for Broken Dependancies

Reply #1
Cannot libreoffice-fresh just be rebuilt against newer lib? I thought that's what you always do.

Reply #2
then the solution to downgrade a dependency package from the Artix archive and downgrading other one is not a solution.

The clean solution would be to implement measures and technical safeguards that the Artix repositories stay consistent.

E.g. that if a package is updated, it only makes it's way to the "stable" repositories if all packages within the same dependency network are rebuilt (you can use ldd to check dynamic library dependencies), and then update all those packages at once (with one mv, symlink, or in which way ever it is done in the backand, operation; physical upload and checksum calculation should have been done before so that "moving things in place" is atomic).

Reply #3
The case of mismatched repositories and broken dependencies.

libreoffice-still does not show anything (does not start either)

I've tried two variants:

1) Yours - to downgrade liborcus. It worked.
2) Took this PKGBUILD and adapted it for the "still" 7.4.6 version of LibreOffice (the script simply repackages .rpm into .pkg.tar.zst). This also worked for me even without downgrading of liborcus.

Just adding my 5 cents. I know this is not the correct answer to your question or a solution.

Reply #4
2) Took this PKGBUILD and adapted it for the "still" 7.4.6 version of LibreOffice (the script simply repackages .rpm into .pkg.tar.zst). This also worked for me even without downgrading of liborcus.

Then this package is linked statically - thx for the hint.

artits