Skip to main content
Topic: Steam refusing to launch (Read 589 times) previous topic - next topic

Steam refusing to launch

I recently changed the mountpoint of one of my drives and now Steam doesnt want to launch. When I try to run it I get the following error:
Code: [Select]
steam.sh[7090]: Running Steam on artix rolling 64-bit
steam.sh[7090]: STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
setup.sh[7162]: Steam runtime environment up-to-date!
steam.sh[7090]: Can't find 'steam-runtime-check-requirements', continuing anyway
WARNING: setlocale('en_US.UTF-8') failed, using locale: 'C'. International characters may not work.
I have tried removing all files I can find in my user directory but this has not helped me at all. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong and how to fix this?
is fuath liom fuinneoga

Re: Steam refusing to launch

Reply #1
Some details of how, where, what, you changed regarding mount points might be useful.

What GPU + driver do you use?

Reply #2
Some details of how, where, what, you changed regarding mount points might be useful.

What GPU + driver do you use?

I changed the mountpoint of a HDD which was previously mounted to /home to /home/tadhg/hdd (tadhg is the only user on this system), I backed up only some of the files in the tadhg directory, and none of these were steam files. In remounting I ran into a few issues which saw me delete and re-add the user tadhg several times in attempts to fix it (I fixed those issues though).

I am using a Nvidia 2070 Super and when I checked my driver I realised that I was using the nvidia dirver, I swapped to nvidia-open as it is recommended for my card and now i get a different error from Steam. My new error message is:
steam.sh[3233]: Running Steam on artix rolling 64-bit
steam.sh[3233]: STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
setup.sh[3305]: Steam runtime environment up-to-date!
steam.sh[3233]: Can't find 'steam-runtime-check-requirements', continuing anyway
WARNING: setlocale('en_US.UTF-8') failed, using locale: 'C'. International characters may not work.
[2023-03-26 19:20:20] Startup - updater built Feb 14 2023 00:47:09
[2023-03-26 19:20:20] Startup - Steam Client launched with: '/home/tadhg/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam'
ILocalize::AddFile() failed to load file "public/steambootstrapper_english.txt".
SteamUpdateUI: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
. Upon further inspection I noticed that the reason that I was getting the previous error was because steam was already running.
is fuath liom fuinneoga

Reply #3
Can you post the output of this please.
pacman -Qs nvidia

Reply #4
Can you post the output of this please.
pacman -Qs nvidia
local/egl-wayland 2:1.1.11-3
    EGLStream-based Wayland external platform
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 530.41.03-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/libvdpau 1.5-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/libxnvctrl 525.89.02-1
    NVIDIA NV-CONTROL X extension
local/nvidia-open 525.89.02-11
    NVIDIA open kernel modules
local/nvidia-settings 525.89.02-1
    Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
local/nvidia-utils 525.89.02-2
    NVIDIA drivers utilities
is fuath liom fuinneoga

Reply #5
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 530.41.03-1
local/nvidia-open 525.89.02-11
local/nvidia-utils 525.89.02-2
The versions need to match
lib32-nvidia-utils 530.41.03-1 wherever it's come from (?) needs to be downgraded to version 525.89.02-1