Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Sneedacity and Tenacity's packages are both inexecutable after update (Read 635 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Sneedacity and Tenacity's packages are both inexecutable after update

The patch for Sneedacity (https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,5048.msg32312.html#msg32312) still works but whenever there's an update the patch must be done again, I've been using Tenacity as an alternative but it's now bugged as well. I know Tenacity is apart of Chaotic AUR's repo but perhaps a dependency they both share is bugged which is causing this issue.

Re: Sneedacity and Tenacity's packages are both inexecutable after update

Reply #1
When ran in the console they both output

sneedacity: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_baseu_xml-3.1.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

tenacity: error while loading shared libraries: libportmidi.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Reply #2
As far as sneedacity is concerned I can only hazard a guess atm but the guess goes like this.
Even though the sneedacity package provides libwx_baseu_xml-3.1.so
Code: [Select]
pacman -Ql |grep libwx_baseu_xml-3.1.so
it's not found as (the guess part) sneedacity must have linked to another copy of the lib at compile time. And that lib is now removed ?
Code: [Select]
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/sneedacity/ sneedacity 
runs it sucessfully
@nous pinged as requested on the other thread.

Reply #3
sudo pacman -S portmidi fixes the missing Tenacity library.

Reply #4
Compiling sneedacity with system wxwidgets leads to FP exception; using the bundled wx complains about missing libwx_baseu_xml-3.1.so, which can be amended either by starting sneedacity from /usr/lib/sneedacity or with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH directive suggested by @gripped. Curiously, only libwx_baseu_xml is pathless, the other wx components are correctly found.
I don't have the time or interest to investigate further, unless someone comes with a proper patch I'm putting an entry in /etc/ld.so.conf.d and forgetting about it.

Reply #5
Well for what it's worth I've switched to Tenacity. Sneedacity is unmaintained.
I only just read the story about drama between Tenacity devs and Sneedacity devs.
But from the look of things Sneedacity dead. Tenacity active.

I just want my spectrograms and I'm happy  8)

Reply #6
Yup, quite a drama.
Wouldn't it make sense to kick the sneedacity package out of universe and adopt Tenacity instead, since it appears to be the active fork?
Tuxedo Pulse
AMD Ryzen 5 4600H
16 GB RAM

Reply #7
Alright, found the real reason: the cmakefile or whatever is renaming the wrapper script from sneedacity.sh to sneedacity and placing it in /usr, resulting in the clusterfsck. The LD_LIBRARY_PATH directive was in there all along too.