Skip to main content
Topic: S6-log: warning: unable to rename /var/log/udevd/current (Read 1957 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: S6-log: warning: unable to rename /var/log/udevd/current

Reply #15
In theory, /var/log being on a separate partition should already be handled. What is supposed to happen is that udevd will initially log itself in /run instead (which will always be there because of s6-linux-init). After all the filesystems mount and root is remounted, all the logging services get a restart, if needed, to transition the logging into /var/log instead.

Reply #16
Sounds good, but something went wrong in my case  :)  I suppose S6 is well-designed and forward-looking system, but I get frustrated when such errors occur. Anyway, if you say that s6-linux-init should be working as intended, then I need to look into my issue.

Thank you!

Reply #17
Hi,

Just tried installing on BTRFS without a separate subvolume for “var/log” being created, and everything worked perfectly. It seems that something wrong is going to happen when additional subvolumes are added.

Reply #18
I am having the exact same issue. First time on Artix, coming from Endeavour and Arch. Not really up to par with linux commands and nkow how, as most of the people here, I'm sure. I was wondering if there was a way to fix this issue or if there are commands I can use to help everyone figure this out. My install was plasma-s6 on btrfs system, I believe with subvolumes (is that LVM?). I have rebooted a few times since install but this last time was the only time I saw this message. Thanks for making a non systemd linux an actual choice for people! Much appreciated!

Reply #19
I guess that means there must be some sort of race condition but that only happens on BTRFS and only if you have /var/log on a separate subvolume. I'm not sure why this would occur though. I'm not a BTRFS user, but I assume the existing mount commands/services are sufficient for mounting everything? The startup scripts do wait on the mount to finish.

Edit: if either of you want to try some hacks, try changing your /etc/s6/sv/remount-root/up file to this:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/execlineb -P
foreground { mount -o remount,rw / }
foreground { sleep 1 }
foreground { sh /etc/s6/log-service-reload.sh }

Then reload the database with s6-db-reload as root. It might possibly make a difference? Another possibility is that /var/log is always mounted read-only for you guys I suppose although you should have problems with other services not just udevd.

Reply #20
I just reboot again this morning while configuring CUPs (another absolute joy, not). I did not have the same errors, it just reboot very quickly with very little output.
EDIT. Just tried a reboot again. Total reboot form multiple applications and windows open, ~20s to get back to the login screen on Plasma. No errors. Not sure what that was all about before.

Reply #21
Just experimented. If I reboot using the apllication menu with GUI, there's no errors. If i reboot using cli command sudo reboot, then I see the error, and it's just a loop, it will never fully reboot. This happens on linux kernel, lts kernel and zen kernel. Same thing.

Reply #22
You should be able to switch to tty7 when it fails and do what you need at least. In any case, it sounds very bizarre that there's a difference between the cli and whatever the GUI menu does under the hood (loginctl reboot maybe?)

Reply #23
Sorry to dig this back up. I think it is related, but I'm also, apparently randomly, having the same issue.
I'm however on a zfs installation.

The /var/log is a separate zfs filesystem.
Everything is working, just the random warning: unable to rename /var/log/udevd/current appearing in a loop, preventing me to shutdown via a poweroff.

To mount all filesystems I've put /bin/zfs mount -a in /etc/s6/rc.local.
`/boot` partition gets mounted via fstab.

Reply #24
You're getting this on shutdown? Are you unmounting /var/log or something yourself with a down script?

Reply #25
If it happens, it happens as soon as I get on tty1 on power-on.

It still lets me log in; if, however, the s6-log udevd error message appeared there it will prevent me from powering down.
A poweroff kills the current sway instance and remains on tty1 waiting indefinitely while the s6-log messages keep getting printed.

I'm not unmounting /var/log myself, should I?

Reply #26

I'm not unmounting /var/log myself, should I?

Definitely no. I'm struggling to understand how it could affect anything during shutdown. Does the /var/log/udevd/current message just simply always print itself and never stop?

Reply #27
That's correct. I can attach a video, somehow, if you want.

Reply #28
Wait sudden idea. What if you simply add rc-local as a dependency to remount-root? Does that fix your issue?

Code: [Select]
touch /etc/s6/sv/remount-root/dependencies.d/rc-local
s6-db reload

Reply #29
This appeared to have solved the issue. Thanks

edit: it happened again, I don't seem to understand the pattern