Skip to main content
Topic: FreeCAD development version (Read 913 times) previous topic - next topic

FreeCAD development version

Hello, I'm trying to install freecad development version on Artix Linux while keeping Artix Linux clean from Arch Linux packages.

I have had some difficulties, as some packages are not available on Artix Linux:

- opencascade > freeimage > jxrlib
- med-openmpi (community) > hdf5-openmpi
- python-pivy > soqt > coin
- libspnav

freecad-git is from a FreeCAD developer repository that will compile it every couple of days to be in sync with FreeCAD development  and after having these packages installed it work as expected, pulling all the remaining packages from Artix Linux repositories.

Most probably same packages are required for freecad that is also lacking from Artix Linux

What is the procedure to request the insertion of these packages in the Artix Linux?

Or as an alternative there is  some ways to install these packages from Arch Linux repositories not polluting Artix Linux without having to installed them by hand and check manually for updates?

Kind Regards

Carlo D.

Re: FreeCAD development version

Reply #1
I as well use FreeCAD-git.
I prefer to enable arch repo and get the FreeCAD itself from chaotic aur
with this method I have all the package needed in repositories that pacman can manage. beside I trust chaotic sources more than AUR itself.

Reply #2
I as well use FreeCAD-git.
I prefer to enable arch repo

Thanks for replying.
I was used to do such thing, but after experimenting a little with some packages I ended up with arch repositories enabled to have bunch of packages pulled from arch extra instead of artix world.

This has made a nightmare to have a smooth run, as from time to time, installation wil became broken due to incompatibilities in between  upgrades and sync between arch versions and artix versions.

now I have around twenty packges pulled manually from arch linux repo plus a couple build from AUR, so it is less complicated, as every package is pulled from artix repo.

if there will be a way to have these packages in Artix it will be very hand, as FreeCAD is not an exotic package.

About chaotic-aur is  interesting to know, but my FreeCAD git is made by a FreeCAD maintainer and as I'm collaborating in FreeCAD development (not a developer, but I have some projects undergoing) I prefer to use his version.

Regards

Carlo D.

Reply #3
I just updated FreeCAD .21.1-1.
However, this version requires libboost_filesystem.so.1.81.0 and therefore cannot launch because Artix has been using boost-libs 1.83.0-1 since this morning.

Same for freecad-git (chaotic aur).

I don't want to downgrade boost-libs because of other apps like libreoffice-fresh.

So, on this partition I am waiting for a FreeCAD 0.21 update.

FreeCAD_weekly-builds-33992-2023-08-31-conda-Linux-x86_64-py310.AppImage works fine in the meantime.

Reply #5
I just updated to freecad-0.21.1-2 and it's all good.

For development versions, I use an Appimage.

Aside from the fact that the vertices are still not displayed in TechDraw; while they appear on 0.22.

Reply #6
For development versions, I use an Appimage.

I'm speaking however of the master version, ie development version (0.22.something) that is build daily by on of FreeCAD developer, for Arch Linux, but is working even on Artix, after having loaded some packages from Arch repositories. (as said in first post, I want to avoid to insert Arch Linux repositories in /etc/pacman.conf).

Regards

Carlo D.

Reply #7
(as said in first post, I want to avoid to insert Arch Linux repositories in /etc/pacman.conf).
I understand.
Until this can be done, I manage as best I can.

No need for arch repositories to use a weekly-builds Appimage version :
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bundle/releases/tag/weekly-builds

I have just installed this version from chaotic-aur which works:
Code: [Select]
trizen freecad
  1 chaotic-aur/freecad-git 0.22.0.34138.g9fc5c2d8e4-1

However, this requires uninstalling FreeCAD 0.21.
The git version is launched using this command:
Code: [Select]
FreeCAD
and not "freecad "as usual.

Reply #8

I agree, I have already two Appimages one for 0.20.2 and one for 0.21.0 (stable) plus the 0.22. master pulled in from @adrianinsaval repository (The FreeCAD developer that is contributing even something to Arch Linux FreeCAD package.)

Plus I start most of my FreeCAD version with bash scripts that use a separate "user directory" for every install so I could have some flexibility,.

I have six version of FreeCAD two for each release one with English  and one with Italian as language settings. So it is quite an articulate scenario.

AppImages run quite well, and I could trust on the separation of environment.

On FreeCAD forum, I have same nickname as here, so you eventually could see some of my posts about "Scripting and Macro" in FreeCAD forum if you are interested.

I'm quite happy with Artix Linux, only I wish to have some packages that could make my life easier, as probably FreeCAD is not a so alien package to have directly into Galaxy maybe (as Universe is probably to be dismissed or eventually Omniverse will became Universe, as other posts seems to reveal).

First post is revealing that are not too many packages that are lacking to permit to install FreeCAD on Artix Linux .

Most of the "foreign" (Arch Linux) package  I have to install in the past (that have complicated my past Artix Linux installation) were for some strange developing tasks like some support for my mechanical keyboard and similar things, that I don't need too much or at least are not essential to have a good Artix Linux experience.

What is lacking now is to find a way to use moksha that could eliminate the need for some other packages I have to import in Artix Linux using the "compiled package tarball" from Arch Linux repositories  to use OpenBox in a decent way but this is another story.

Regards

Carlo D.

Reply #9
Hello Carlo,
Nice to meet you !

Plus I start most of my FreeCAD version with bash scripts that use a separate "user directory" for every install so I could have some flexibility,.

I have six version of FreeCAD two for each release one with English  and one with Italian as language settings. So it is quite an articulate scenario.

AppImages run quite well, and I could trust on the separation of environment.
I now understand better your wish to see FreeCAD in the galaxy or even omniverse repository.
If I had the skills, I would happily take care of it.

What is lacking now is to find a way to use moksha that could eliminate the need for some other packages I have to import in Artix Linux using the "compiled package tarball" from Arch Linux repositories  but this is another story.
I have never tested Moksha Window Manager and Desktop environment.

On FreeCAD forum, I have same nickname as here, so you eventually could see some of my posts about "Scripting and Macro" in FreeCAD forum if you are interested.
I visit the FreeCAD French forum every day.
I think it would be in my interest to also take a look at the English section. 8)

Greetings from Alsace !

Reply #10

I visit the FreeCAD French forum every day.
I think it would be in my interest to also take a look at the English section. 8)

Greetings from Alsace !

Greetings also to you, I have some great rememberings of my stay in Alsace .

Regards

Carlo D.

Reply #11
FreeCAD would be a great addition to artix package, but idk if any package maintainer would like to pick it up right now.
as alternative method to install package, I prefer to use one of the following tools rather than getting the appimage,
* nixOS
* flatpak
* snap
* distrobox , however I could not successfully make "Distrobox" work on artix as of now

Reply #12

What is lacking now is to find a way to use moksha that could eliminate the need for some other packages I have to import in Artix Linux using the "compiled package tarball" from Arch Linux repositories  but this is another story.

so this repo does not ave all the needed dependency?

Reply #13

so this repo does not ave all the needed dependency?

No I've expressed my though in a wrong way, amended the original post.

I actualy use Opnebox, so I have to find a way to make things that I do with openbox with Moksha, see maybe to not poolute this thread:

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,5901.0.html

Regards

Carlo D.