Skip to main content
Topic: Moksha help needed. (Read 748 times) previous topic - next topic

Moksha help needed.

Hello, I want to ask some questions about Moksha.

I have an OpenBox setting, but actually in Artix Linux it lacks of some functionality out of the box.

I'm used to have a tint2 panel  that fulfil most of my needs, as a pager and desktop cwitcher, and I want to replicate some of his functionality on Moksha.

I have a representation of all my virtaul desktops and icons for each open application so I could switch to every virtusl deskotp directly in the "task bar" offereb by tint2 that is in all "virtual desktops" at top of the screen.

At bottom I have a conky install that I have already replicated in Moksha.

Now the most needed functionality is to have applications moved to each proper "virtual desktop" when launched.

I have used the rc.xml functionality of Openbox, that permit to specify where an application shoudl start using the xprop properties, as example I want to start a web browser always on "virtual desktop" number 2 and OpenOffice instances on "Virtual desktop" number 4, how can I achieve such a behaviou in Moksha?

Regards

Carlo D.

Re: Moksha

Reply #1
"but actually in Artix Linux it lacks of some functionality out of the box"

like what?, 'cause it's the same as on arch or if using openbox as a wm under a de  on debian (just checked on a couple of computers btw).   You're not just talking the openbox config gui by any chance?

Re: Moksha help needed.

Reply #2
"but actually in Artix Linux it lacks of some functionality out of the box"

like what?, 'cause it's the same as on arch or if using openbox as a wm under a de  on debian (just checked on a couple of computers btw).   You're not just talking the openbox config gui by any chance?

In OpenBox you have not a panel, so I use tint2 and it is not supplied by Artix.

Plus if you want a decent menu system you have to use a pipemenu, and the most easy to sue is "arch-xdg-menu" that I have to compile useing a PKGBUILD, it work out of the box, (providing you have a correct menu.xml set).

I want to avoid as much as possible to depend on Arch Linux repositories, because of some bad experience. (in the middle of artix repository updates, there could be misalignments, so an Arch package could be pulled in instead of an Artix Linux package creating soe problems).

I wish to have in moksa the behaviour you obtain creating proper entries in rc.xml to make applications start on a specified "virtual desktop".

Regards

Carlo D.

Reply #3
I ported Moksha from Bodhi Linux sources, without as few changes as possible.
Currently I have no access to my Moksha vm's, but you might post your question in the Bodhi / Moksha forum: https://bodhilinux.boards.net/board/5/moksha

artist

Reply #4
I ported Moksha from Bodhi Linux sources, without as few changes as possible.

Thnaks for replying.

How about having:

- numlockx
- tint2
- maybe a customized version of arch-xdg-menu

in packages, maybe in omniverse if not in galaxy?

This will permit to have a better OpenBox experience, as tint2 will supply a decent and widespread panel, while arch-xdg-menu will add an application pipe-menu that will be updated on the fly if newer applications (sofwares)  are installed.

Regards

Carlo D.

Reply #5
well, there's a lot  on the web with exactly the same question with openbox and after spending quite a while with  it today, it doesn't want to play ball for me either (which is a shame, as I  would also like to open a specific app on a particular desktop too now...)!  That's both using openbox on it's own and as a wm with a de on top, also not using artix, sooo, its an openbox thing - would be worth (if you haven't already) posting it also on an openbox forum if there's still an active one around, or maybe on reddit under general linux and hopefully it''l get traction.

here's a couple of pages i had a look at, but no joy here at least:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/290115/how-do-i-open-specific-applications-on-specific-workspaces-in-lubuntu-13-04

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=54918

Reply #6
lol, how about:

Code: [Select]
xdotool set_desktop NUMBER exec APP_NAME
"Wer alles kann, macht nichts richtig"

Artix USE="runit openrc slim openbox lxde gtk2 qt4 qt5 qt6 conky
-gtk3 -gtk4 -adwaita{cursors,themes,icons} -gnome3 -kde -plasma -wayland "

Reply #7
here you go:
1. open the app you want to open on a specific workspace
2. open a terminal and run   sudo xprop | grep "^_OB_APP"
3. click the open app and the terminal will populate
4. copy, paste (at the end of the file rc.xml)  and edit name, class and desktop number where appropriate from the terminal info (case sensitive). 

<application name="Mail" class="Thunderbird">
<desktop>4</desktop>
</application>

save/exit file, run  openbox --reconfigure to save logging out.  Tried it with a few apps (leafpad, thunderbird, writer, browser) and all work fine. 

and voila, opens in the specified desktop.

Reply #8

The problem is not how to make it work with openbox, in rc.xml I have these settings:

<!-- desktop 7 -->
    <application class="FreeCAD*">
      <desktop>7</desktop>
      <maximized>no</maximized>
      <focus>yes</focus>
    </application>
    <application class="Lxterminal*" title="FreeCAD-launcher*">
      <desktop>7</desktop>
      <focus>yes</focus>
    </application>

They move the appropriate things, on the appropriate desktop, something similar exist for other wm and probably for some compositor too.

Usually it is done at wm level, as you could be maybe able to specify also some positions, like in:

<application class="Zathura*">
      <desktop>8</desktop>
      <position force="yes">
        <x>980</x>
        <y>32</y>
      </position>
      <size>
        <width>48%</width>
        <height>92%</height>
      </size>
      <focus>no</focus>
    </application>

So the problem is how to obtain it at a wm level and not when launching an app, I have hoped that it was possible even in Moksha without using programs like:

https://www.nongnu.org/devilspie2/

or similar.

Regards

Carlo D.

Reply #9
..., I have hoped that it was possible even in Moksha ...

Enlightenment users should take into account that the configuration is not done via editable text files, which is completely untypical for Linux.

Settings are stored completely in binary files to achieve the highest possible speed.

If one wants to change them, integrated setting tools are used (which also means that in an emergency, interventions from the outside are difficult to implement).
"Wer alles kann, macht nichts richtig"

Artix USE="runit openrc slim openbox lxde gtk2 qt4 qt5 qt6 conky
-gtk3 -gtk4 -adwaita{cursors,themes,icons} -gnome3 -kde -plasma -wayland "

Reply #10

Thanks, for the reply.

Sadly this will not address my problem, it is not about "how" things are configured in Enlightenment, I'm not asking for a configuration file, is about the capabilities of the Enlightenment WM/DE.

I like some aspects of Enlightenment, but I have found some difficulties in having:

- a "simple" top bar with a pager ,to switch "virtual desktops" and a "window list", and maybe some button on it to launch programs (or as the last mainstream will say applications)
- a way to tell the WM/DE to open my windows when I need them to have them grouped "by task", I have a terminal virtual desktop (VD, where I have all my terminals, (3 terminals). or the web browser in another VD, it is not to specify what application should start on a VD, but to specify a class or a name maybe with some wildcards.

I was hoping to find in term of "capabilities" what I've used to have on my old fashioned OpenBox setting (and tint2)  even in a modern WM/DE like Enlightenment , regardless the way I could achieve it, using a "configuration file" or fiddling with menu items, how settings are retained it is not a "real problem" provided I could save and restore them copying a directory it is not a problem to have them in "binary format" or plain text files.

Thanks again and Regards.

Carlo D.