Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: turnstile user dinit: In multiple cgroups, cannot determine cgroup root path (Read 320 times) previous topic - next topic

turnstile user dinit: In multiple cgroups, cannot determine cgroup root path

I'm having trouble running dinit in a user session. I have turnstile and it was working once but stopped after a restart. I am not sure what I did to get it working the first time or what broke.
On session login, turnstile outputs to its log a dinit error.
Code: [Select]
dinit: In multiple cgroups, cannot determine cgroup root path
I'm unfamiliar with cgroups or what is wrong. I've checked everything else and it should be correct.
Service: turnstiled
    State: STARTED
    Activation: start due to dependent(s)
    Process ID: 1521
$ echo $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
/run/user/1000
$ ls -l /run/user/1000/
total 4
drwx------ 3 me me  60 Mar  7 11:10 dbus-1
drwx------ 2 me me  60 Mar  7 11:11 dconf
drwx------ 2 me me 160 Mar  7 11:10 gnupg
-rw------- 1 me me 187 Mar  7 11:10 ICEauthority
drwx------ 2 me me  40 Mar  7 11:10 pulse
And an appropriate entry in pam for turnstile had already been added, ruling that out.
$ grep turnstile /etc/pam.d/system-login
session    optional   pam_turnstile.so

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: turnstile user dinit: In multiple cgroups, cannot determine cgroup root path

Reply #1
Hello, before anything a bit more info is required:
As your /run/user/1000 doesn't have dinitctl into it, I also assume your /run/turnstiled is empty or incomplete, right?
Can you also verify the putput of "ps aux | grep [t]urnstile" if the --services-dir arguments get passed to it?
Also under /etc/turnstile/turnstiled.conf if you changed manage_rundir to yes (maybe try doing so if you didn't)

Re: turnstile user dinit: In multiple cgroups, cannot determine cgroup root path

Reply #2
Hello, before anything a bit more info is required:
As your /run/user/1000 doesn't have dinitctl into it, I also assume your /run/turnstiled is empty or incomplete, right?
$ ls -l /run/turnstiled/
total 0
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Mar  7 11:11 control.sock

Can you also verify the putput of "ps aux | grep [t]urnstile" if the --services-dir arguments get passed to it?
Does not seem to.
$ ps aux | grep [t]urnstile
root      1521  0.0  0.0   6548  3624 ?        Ss   11:11   0:00 /usr/bin/turnstiled

Also under /etc/turnstile/turnstiled.conf if you changed manage_rundir to yes (maybe try doing so if you didn't)
$ grep manage_rundir\ = /etc/turnstile/turnstiled.conf
manage_rundir = yes

Reply #3
Okay, so it's not loading.
I have little knowledge of pam and whether turnstile should also be added to other configs apart from system-login, but according to package pambase-turnstile which i have installed it's also targeting these, check them:
4,0K	/etc/pam.d/system-services
4,0K /etc/pam.d/system-remote-login
4,0K /etc/pam.d/system-login
4,0K /etc/pam.d/system-local-login
4,0K /etc/pam.d/system-auth
4,0K /etc/pam.d/other

Do you use seatd by any chance? Remove the pam_rundir package if you have it.

Reply #4
Okay, so it's not loading.
I have little knowledge of pam and whether turnstile should also be added to other configs apart from system-login, but according to package pambase-turnstile which i have installed it's also targeting these, check them:
4,0K	/etc/pam.d/system-services
4,0K /etc/pam.d/system-remote-login
4,0K /etc/pam.d/system-login
4,0K /etc/pam.d/system-local-login
4,0K /etc/pam.d/system-auth
4,0K /etc/pam.d/other

Do you use seatd by any chance? Remove the pam_rundir package if you have it.
I didn't have pam_runsv but I went ahead and installed the pambase-turnstile package instead of editing the files myself and it immediately started working. Still don't know why it worked that one time before but hopefully I don't jinx this. Thanks!