Skip to main content
Topic: Network problems after installing runit and removing openrc (Read 4380 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Network problems after installing runit and removing openrc

Reply #16
Yeah based on that, I would just assume that symlink messed everything up. I would suggest deleting everything in the /run/runit/service directory and then force reinstalling (i.e. using the --force flag) every single runit package you need (runit, runit-artix, dhcpcd-runit, dbus-runit, etc.). Then try the proper symlink again. So for getting internet:
Code: [Select]
# ln -s /etc/runit/sv/dhcpcd /run/runit/service

That should work just fine unless you had some really strange configuration that NetworkManger handled for you. I'm assuming you're just running a standard ethernet cable though. In that case, dhcpcd is all you need.

Reply #17
That's what I get for a bunch of services. 
Yeah based on that, I would just assume that symlink messed everything up. I would suggest deleting everything in the /run/runit/service directory and then force reinstalling (i.e. using the --force flag) every single runit package you need (runit, runit-artix, dhcpcd-runit, dbus-runit, etc.). Then try the proper symlink again. So for getting internet:
# ln -s /etc/runit/sv/dhcpcd /run/runit/service

That should work just fine unless you had some really strange configuration that NetworkManger handled for you. I'm assuming you're just running a standard ethernet cable though. In that case, dhcpcd is all you need.

I don't think the symlink messed up.

If all services are symlinked, check it with pstree to see if a runsv process is running.

I simply think that @fungalnet uses

$ sv status dbus

instead of

# sv status dbus

But seeing that the return result is not found, that suggests that the dbus service is not enabled yet.

However, just deleting everything in /run/runit/service is not wise since it will delete everything, including agetty. Which means "goodbye, usable system".

Instead, see the contents of /run/runit/service, and delete any unnecessary service.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #18
I don't think the symlink messed up.

If all services are symlinked, check it with pstree to see if a runsv process is running.

I simply think that @fungalnet uses

$ sv status dbus

instead of

# sv status dbus

But seeing that the return result is not found, that suggests that the dbus service is not enabled yet.

However, just deleting everything in /run/runit/service is not wise since it will delete everything, including agetty. Which means "goodbye, usable system".

Instead, see the contents of /run/runit/service, and delete any unnecessary service.

If it was just a permission error, it would have said "access denied" or something like that. That's the error message you get if you try to check a service that does not exist. I'm pretty sure something is just wrong with his symlinks since the directory is not being found. But you are right in pointing out my bad wording. I shouldn't have said delete everything in /run/runit/service. I should have said delete unwanted/not working services. Thanks for that.