Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [Tracker] Dinit support (Read 7551 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Tracker] Dinit support

Reply #60
Despite the first post referencing Postgres, i have had no such luck with postgres/postgres-dinit.

Attempting to start postgres failed on no postgresql.conf -- /var/lib/postgres/data was empty. This may be normal -- i manually initialized /var/lib/postgres/data by running initdb.

However, after doing so, attempting to dinitctl start postgres fails on the dreaded "could not translate host name "localhost", service "5432" to address: Name or service not known" error. i noticed a user running Artix/runit also has run into this recently in my 2 days of culling the internet for solutions. My /etc/hosts file has the standard 127.0.0.1 and ::1 assignments for localhost.

What am i missing? Is there some other package dependency that postgres relies on to properly create the socket?

This is a clean install of Artix/dinit. It has been awhile since i've been on an arch based distro -- been on Alpine and Void the past few years -- and i am quite liking Artix/dinit so far but this has me stumped.

--

UPDATE: SOLVED

Staring too long at my /etc/hosts..

It ultimately was caused by an error further down in the file caused by a hosts file merge.

Reply #61
A curiosity regarding the new `dinitcheck --online` option, I saw that for user services, it seems to be required in order to list every available service, without it just showing parts of dependencies:

Could it be maybe turnstile not setting it up exactly right, hence those warnings? Everything else under dinitctl works perfectly under both root and the normal user.

Sorry for the slow answer! Turnstile adds some service directories to the defaults when it starts dinit, which dinitcheck only knows about if it can contact dinit (i.e. if run with --online).

I saw a patch about hardcoding user service paths by default https://github.com/davmac314/dinit/commit/a77acc962aed32b0378cb9185b8d7cf7ad0ae14d which i guess turnstile already overrides, but maybe has something to do here.

Yes, this patch should make --online unnecessary when using turnstile.

Also, if it works fine, can i use `dinitcheck --online` instead of iterating with `find` over user service locations to get a listing of what's available?

Be aware that it only checks only current (transitive) dependencies of "boot". So it will ignore services that are available but not enabled and not otherwise depended on by boot or an enabled service.

Reply #62
One month ago I made a thread about a problem I have with dinit and with the sddm service where the content of the /tmp folder is randomly deleted, including the Xauth file created by sddm, which prevents the user from opening programs.
I'm re-posting here as I'm still having the problem  :(

Reply #63
I'm re-posting here as I'm still having the problem  :(

The problem is almost certainly nothing to do with dinit itself but might be a service issue.

Can you post the output of `sudo dinitctl list` and `mount` immediately after logging in? I'm wondering if some service is taking a long time to start for some reason and that is delaying the mount of the tmpfs on /tmp (or it's getting re-mounted at some point for example).

Reply #64
I don't think it's anything specifically with services either, given that /tmp is mounted before udevd-early (before dinit-rc 0.3.0) or before early-prepare.target (after 0.3.0) and is never invoked again after that.

Inspecting both current sddm-dinit pkg and older sddm-dinit, there's no commands to remount /tmp either.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #65
I don't think it's anything specifically with services either

Yeah, you might be right - I'm just struggling to think of what would remove files in (or remount) /tmp and why.

renguangxi – I assume you've checked system logs for anything unusual?

Reply #66
I'm unpinning and closing this thread since support has gotten to the level of "good enough". I'm happy enough with the startup/shutdown scripts, I'm happy enough with most of the implementations. There will always be things to iron out, but I can say that this thread served its purpose. Any and all new announcements regarding dinit will be made in a new thread, and please make a thread if you have any problems with Artix's dinit services (or anything probably related to dinit, really).

Regarding turnstile, I guess a separate thread ala seatd will be made.
now only the dinit guy in artix