Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: after migrating Artix to ssd system not logingin to lightdm (Read 1661 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: after migrating Artix to ssd system not logingin to lightdm

Reply #30

I don't have such lines in my Xorg.0.log, your installation shouldn't have it either. The rsync command from the Arch wiki should work. Can you start Xorg as plain user?
not, startx at user does x starting for few secs black screen i hear video cards fans lower rate and boom i see x error and again at tty
-=linux its buggy crap that have no antifool protection (c)=- :)
*linux is free software, and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY* :)
+ALL YOURS ACTIONS at Linux YOU DO at YOUR OWN RISK!+ :)

Reply #31
not, startx at user does x starting for few secs black screen i hear video cards fans lower rate and boom i see x error and again at tty
Before you had xterm on a black screen ? When did this change ?
I imagine you have no ~/.xinitrc ?

What Window Manager / DE do you use ? I can't remember you saying but could be wrong.

Reply #32
Before you had xterm on a black screen ? When did this change ?
I imagine you have no ~/.xinitrc ?

What Window Manager / DE do you use ? I can't remember you saying but could be wrong.
what change? Something change by itself in yours Artix after i try clone it.
I have no .xinitrc at source hdd Artix and all working good.
All artix default, xfce+lightdm, at source hdd artix all works well

here attached x logs, before reinstalling nvidia, after reinstalling nvidia, and nouveau, and screen what happens when i try to start x

PS before i have similar problem with Artix live iso with preinstalled nvidia drivers, but here those solution not help
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,5171.msg33299.html#msg33299

Reply #33
some progress,
Did reinstal 340-nvidia-dkms driver from aur, update whole system and update lts kernel at cloned ssd,
same sutucked at tty login, BUT modprobe nvidia working now,
NOW i am copy my old xinitrc from Devuan to home dir Artix and startx, x started normally i see my desktop all ok,
BUT after reboot os still cant autologing its stll stucked at tty login,
BUT if i am manuall login and startx all working good,
any thoughts?

Reply #34
maybe problem here? users id is correct after cloning?
Code: [Select]
/var/log/everything/log-2024-09-01-03:59:35                                                                                                                                           289371/1024K              27%
Sep 01 06:05:12 [pulseaudio] [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-x11-xsmp" (argument: "display=:1.0 xauthority=/home/freeartist-artix/.Xauthority session_manager=local/home:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/4196,
unix/home:/tmp/.ICE-unix/4196"): initialization failed.
/var/log/rc.log                                                                                                                                                                        41944/42213              99%
etmpfiles-setup  |Opening file "/tmp/.ICE-unix/2405" failed, proceeding without lock: No such device or address

Reply #35
what change? Something change by itself in yours Artix after i try clone it.
I have no .xinitrc at source hdd Artix and all working good.
All artix default, xfce+lightdm, at source hdd artix all works well
I was referring specifically to using startx. (and my comment about .xintrc "I imagine you have no ~/.xinitrc ?" relates only to startx)
In the first post on this thread you said
If i use startx i see only xterm and black desktop, nvidia driver loaded i hear for card fans.
And you posted a picture of that.

Then more recently you said
startx at user does x starting for few secs black screen i hear video cards fans lower rate and boom i see x error and again at tty
So that has changed.

It very much seems that you have failed to clone your hdd to your sdd properly.
With that in mind you should not proceed with things as they are.
If you know that certain things are not working as they did on the hdd it's fairly predictable that there will be other issues that may not seem obvious at first.

If done correctly:
  • Clone partition with rsync
  • Correct fstab UUID
  • Correct bootloader UUID
Then everything should be working on the sdd EXACTLY the same as it did on the hdd.

As it isn't you have done something wrong. Whether the rsync has failed to clone everything or something changes after I can't say. But the former seems far more likely.

But I can say that the sdd is not a perfect clone of the hdd. You need to work out why.

Reply #36

Clone partition with rsync
    Correct fstab UUID
    Correct bootloader UUID
yes, i did exactly same, but its not work

As it isn't you have done something wrong. Whether the rsync has failed to clone everything or something changes after I can't say. But the former seems far more likely.

But I can say that the sdd is not a perfect clone of the hdd. You need to work out why.
that why i ask here, but noone cant say where is mistake

ps last variant make dd clone

Reply #37
At lightdm try ctrl - alt - F* to get a tty, login then recheck /etc/fstab is correct by referring to the output of lsblk, blkid and fdisk -l, and run # mkinitcpio -P and # update-grub. Then run # poweroff and try to boot again. Also in the Grub menu try the fallback initramfs kernel image, the standard one might miss out some kernel modules, and if that works run mkinitcpio from the desktop once you get there to hopefully pull in any missing modules. I've copied OS's numerous times and all I use to copy the files is # cp -a mountpoint1/ mountpoint2/ but it's important not to copy a running system, do the copy from a third partition or a bootable usb iso. Once you get to a tty you can also investigate any desktop starting problems from there.

Reply #38
/etc/fstab is correct by referring to the output of lsblk, blkid and fdisk -l, and run # mkinitcpio -P and # update-grub. Then run # poweroff and try to boot again. Also in the Grub menu try the fallback initramfs kernel image, the standard one might miss out some kernel modules, and if that works run mkinitcpio from the desktop once you get there to hopefully pull in any missing modules.
ok, thanks, but how its relative with stuck tty login?
in my case here os booting normally but stuck at tty login

Reply #39
I think you misunderstand the word, a tty login is when you are logged into a non graphical terminal interface, you have a picture above showing you are issuing commands in a tty. At this point the system is more or less fully running and operational, the only thing not started is the desktop graphical environment.
 What init are you using? Could a drive with different access speeds have revealed a race condition in the boot sequence? Also you could check if the ssd is in good condition with smartmontools, or even try with another drive, if you have one available, in case of a fault with that - this isn't very likely I think, but it's another possibility that could be eliminated.

Reply #40
openrc

I think you misunderstand
ok, ask another, why after cloning tty autologin can break?

Reply #41
SOLVED :)
i am install artix grub again, previously i am ony did update grub
grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sdX
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

ps have someone ideas where is was issue, and why now only after reinstalling grub os booting normally?

Reply #42
Because GRUB is setup for the disk geometry grub-install and grub-mkconfig run on?

Reply #43
i do not understand why its working now?
what magic did grub install that grub update didn't?

ps i seen that all have been working correctly from boot beginning, font size at openrc screen log(font is smaller), and second, now user logout menu have much more options than before its not worked, before logout menu have one big "suspend" button at second row, not it have 2 or 3 options

Reply #44
what magic did grub install that grub update didn't?
From https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/465189/update-grub-vs-grub-install (update-grub applies to Artix too):
update-grub, at least in Debian and its relatives like Ubuntu, is basically just a wrapper around grub-mkconfig. So it creates/updates/regenerates the GRUB configuration, not the actual bootloader itself.
With the traditional BIOS GRUB, grub-install will (re)write the part of the GRUB embedded in the Master Boot Record, and encode into it the physical disk block numbers from where to read the next part of GRUB. It will also determine from which partition the actual GRUB configuration file (/boot/grub/grub.cfg) will be read. An important factor here is the /boot/grub/device.map file, which tells GRUB how BIOS's (and therefore GRUB's) device numbering maps to Linux disk devices.
It's surprising that the system even booted in the first place without grub-install.
Also, this is one of those situations where reading the manual is really helpful. There's an entire Arch wiki article on how to migrate a system to different hardware, and there's a section which explains why you need to re-install the bootloader and how to do it:
You might need to reinstall and/or reconfigure the boot loader for the following reasons:
Different disks, partition layout, or file system
Adding UEFI boot entries into the new mainboard NVRAM
Migration from "MBR boot code" booting to UEFI booting
Migration from USB to SATA/NVMe
 Updating the kernel commandline
In case of a different GPU, update the framebuffer mode
Update the Microcode initramfs image
For your own sake and for saving your own time, please read the documentation/wiki/manual.