Skip to main content
Topic: Firefox segfaulting (Read 2040 times) previous topic - next topic

Firefox segfaulting

Hi,

Since this morning, Firefox and Qupzilla are segfaulting. I would like to paste here all the relevant info to help resolving my problem, but I don't know what would be relevant.

Can you help me by telling me what info I should post here to document my problem?

Thank you.

Re: Firefox segfaulting

Reply #1
Hello, i have no idea where the problem is, Firefox is crashing from time to time ... it is its normal state.

It would be good to know if you are using Artix testing repositories,
if you updated packages from Arch repositories while not using artix testing repositories.
You may also have problems with 3D acceleration aka video drivers or X server.
Can you run firefox / Qupzila in terminal and copy&paste output here ?
Also try to run Firefox in safemode without addons.

Reply #2
1 world/xf86-video-intel 2.99.917+777+g6babcf15-1 (xorg-drivers) [installed]
    X.org Intel i810/i830/i915/945G/G965+ video drivers
2 extra/xf86-video-intel 1:2.99.917+781+gc8990575-1 (xorg-drivers) [installed: 2.99.917+777+g6babcf15-1]
3 aur/xf86-video-intel-git 1:2.99.917+781+gc8990575-1 (121) (1.35)

I switched between 1 and 2 and was on firefox trying to download something.  The moment I hit the download button the whole system froze.  I switched them back and tried the same exact thing.  Not a problem since.  I have i915 gfx
I had been using Qupzilla for a while but there were too many bugs in it and recently gave up and went back to firefox.
Maybe I should try palemoon, I've read good things about it and I am a little leery about Mozilla and its corporate allies.

Reply #3
It seems as the previous assumption is irrelevant.
There have been several times since then that while on firefox the whole system loses its composure and freezes.
Couldn't find any logs other than the evidence of shutting down improperly.
Pulling the usb plugs from keyboard and mouse and replugging resulted in lazer light not even going back on or caps/num lock lights functioning.
I am not sure what or how is firefox causing it but it is not firefox that crashes, it is the whole system.

So even the hotkey for terminating X would function to go back to console.
Any clues?

Dell Intel Core2Duo E65xx Intel i915 gfx
Kernel: 4.12.14-1-ck
Install Date: Sat 29 Jul 2017 3:46 PM

Procs and mem less than 10% of capacity

Reply #5
I had the same issue a few days ago Firefox and Qupzilla weren't working. I downloaded Chromium and it didn't work either. I reinstalled Artix because I was having some other issues. When i reinstalled Artix everything worked. 

Reply #6
Ahhh I also remember when I had segfaulting issues no matter which application I run. Turns out, it was caused by my partition almost went full. After deleting .xsession-errors that makes up 70% of my used space, the issues are now gone
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #7
I've been using Opera  lately. It's actually quite nice.  I used Qupzilla for quite awhile but it seems very unstable lately. YMMV.

db

Reply #8
Partition space is not my problem, I'm utilizing less than half of it.
Bleachbit is a good tool if used carefully.  I remember in systemd-trap /var/log would grow like a malignant tumor.  There was some server bug a few months ago that his majesty himself would defend as the system needing to create this log and was defending it.  Some guy's server would produce copies of the same log in the order of 50-60/sec as this mysterious user would log in and out of the system faster than you can ever audit.  The proposed solution was to create a script to screen and erase those logs just as fast.  Even some Debian defenders of their init system found this as absolute madness.
I have slid of topic, I know. 
My Xorg logs are 21kB after 2 months and var/log is about 40mB

Reply #9
Partition space is not my problem, I'm utilizing less than half of it.
Bleachbit is a good tool if used carefully.  I remember in systemd-trap /var/log would grow like a malignant tumor.  There was some server bug a few months ago that his majesty himself would defend as the system needing to create this log and was defending it.  Some guy's server would produce copies of the same log in the order of 50-60/sec as this mysterious user would log in and out of the system faster than you can ever audit.  The proposed solution was to create a script to screen and erase those logs just as fast.  Even some Debian defenders of their init system found this as absolute madness.
I have slid of topic, I know. 
My Xorg logs are 21kB after 2 months and var/log is about 40mB

Wipe out the firefox home configuation directory and start it again.

Reply #10
I don't think that's the issue as it was a recent install.  I did transfer bookmarks and a tab sequence and installed a couple of addons from scratch.  Lately I haven't seen it happeneing again, but freezing of the system did happen a couple of time without ff.

Today there were too severe security alerts, one for TB the other for Chromium.  I think between the two one is hunting and reporting each other's bugs.  A couple of weeks ago when TB was last upgraded my addons were removed and the original calendar plugin came back on which is a security issue in itself.  Why would a mail pkg need to have its own use of cookies?  Because Mozilla can't get its head out of its own UU

I had stopped using all mozilla products for a while suspecting them of similar evils as systemd and google.  I keep promising I'll go back to palemoon as midori is too much of a mess and qupzilla is getting into the same mess ff is.