Skip to main content
Topic: Installation issues with the 8/8/2017 image lxqt (Read 9452 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Installation issues with the 8/8/2017 image lxqt

Reply #45
what is the command for installing grub.  grub-install

grub-install /dev/sda (sdb or whatever you want it to go to) otherwise you can update-grub without it being installed on sda, copy the 1st menuentry and its submenus and paste it to the other distribution's grub.cfg in the ##custom 40## area.  Supposedly when the other system updates its grub does not alter the entries already in custom.

Reply #46
grub-install /dev/sda (sdb or whatever you want it to go to) otherwise you can update-grub without it being installed on sda, copy the 1st menuentry and its submenus and paste it to the other distribution's grub.cfg in the ##custom 40## area.  Supposedly when the other system updates its grub does not alter the entries already in custom.
Don't think this works on UEFI systems?

If you use UEFI see here half way down the page

https://artixlinux.org/migrate.php

Reply #47
No, I keep thinking everyone here works on sub $100 machines still   :)
Feel free to add the alternative

Reply #48
i just installed archbang.. it is now running openrc and using artix repos so if you like openbox and dont mind configuring it a bit, it can work.  it uses a text based installer called abinstall and i'm thinking that could or should be adapted for using with artix and not even bother with calamares at all..

Reply #49
i mean you could modify abinstall for artix purposes and then put it in the repos for people to install from the live medum

Reply #50
I really can't seem to get X working, which is very frustrating because it seems the more that screw with X the worst it works.  I need x to do two things, to start from the command line with startx, and to work from an ssh tunnel, which I can't get to seem to function despite efforts with xhost and xwrapper.conf.  I don't even know where to start to debug this.  I has worked since slackware 3.2 and now it doesn't.  BTW I tried to start lxdm and that froze everything.

Reply #51
I just want to confirm that the apparent machineid error is really secondary to the pulse dependency issue?  If so, does anyone know what is pulling in pulse, since I certainly didn't manually select it.  Also - is there any way for calamares to save it's confguration and reload it so that if it fails, you don't have to specify every little bit of info again?

Reply #52
Yes its plasma-pa that pulls pulseaudio-gconf that pulls pulseaudio that then pulls libpulse and yes that dependency error is what causes the machineid error.
Not sure what you can do, leave out pulse-pa perhaps enable the system-testing repo, try another DE and add plasma later?

Reply #53
well the work around seems to be to install the base iso packages and then after install of the base system, manually install all the thingies you want to run...  you need a few chops to pull that offf though... fortunately, though not too many chops needed....

Reply #54
Yes its plasma-pa that pulls pulseaudio-gconf that pulls pulseaudio that then pulls libpulse and yes that dependency error is what causes the machineid error.
Not sure what you can do, leave out pulse-pa perhaps enable the system-testing repo, try another DE and add plasma later?

A question: but is not more simple to replace the 10.x version in the repos with the 11.x requested from plasma-pa?

Reply #55
The 11 x is in the testing repo's not sure if you can enable them before starting calamares, it is world testing you need I think.

Reply #56
The 11 x is in the testing repo's not sure if you can enable them before starting calamares, it is world testing you need I think.

I tried to replace world repos with world-testing, but without result. It solve (no messages in Calamares log) the problem of the dependency of libpulse 11.x. but crashed in the chroot process pacman-key --init.
I completed a Plasma installation with another approach. I did a post.