Skip to main content
Topic: Re: Migration from Manjaro OpenRC - no autologin (Read 1847 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from xfce not starting fro...

Re: Migration from Manjaro OpenRC - no autologin

[MOD: Moved to new topic, as it was irrelevant to OP]

When I migrated I was booting from another grub, so initially it booted up on the old Manjaro kernel and lightdm login was working. Then later I ran update grub on that partition so the loader menu now pointed to the new Artix kernel and autologin stopped working from then on. If I try booting the old Manjaro kernel now it auto logs in but the apps on the desktop won't run and I have to go to a getty to do anything. Plus now with the Artix kernel after logging in manually things work OK but at shutdown lightdm appears again, then I enter the user pw and it returns to the desktop but then shuts down, you can see the shutdown sequence happening on tty1. I read that elogind needs certain kernel options enabled, but I haven't really investigated that or other possibilities yet,  nor found a solution myself.

Re: Migration from Manjaro OpenRC - no autologin with dm

Reply #1
Having sorted out most of the -Qm leftovers I still can't autologin with lightdm or sddm. The old Manjaro kernel works again after updating Artix, including the earlier change to testing and back again. If accountsservice is installed both lightdm and sddm don't appear with the Artix lts kernel, it boots and stops at a black screen with a blinking cursor at top left, ctrl alt delete or ctrl alt F1-7 work to get out of this. But accountsservice works with the Manjaro kernel, no autologin though. Both dm's appear onscreen and ask for the user password at shutdown, this is the relogin feature being triggered somehow.

Re: Re: Migration from Manjaro OpenRC - no autologin

Reply #2
Having sorted out most of the -Qm leftovers I still can't autologin with lightdm or sddm. The old Manjaro kernel works again after updating Artix, including the earlier change to testing and back again. If accountsservice is installed both lightdm and sddm don't appear with the Artix lts kernel, it boots and stops at a black screen with a blinking cursor at top left, ctrl alt delete or ctrl alt F1-7 work to get out of this. But accountsservice works with the Manjaro kernel, no autologin though. Both dm's appear onscreen and ask for the user password at shutdown, this is the relogin feature being triggered somehow.

I can't even get X to start outside of root and even then it was very weird, and started in tty1

Re: Re: Migration from Manjaro OpenRC - no autologin

Reply #3
I did get one boot with the Artix kernel where it didn't ask for a password and went to the desktop, but then no apps would start when I clicked them. I disabled parallel boot with OpenRc then, I think it added some random element to the behaviour. Since then I have made some progress creating a partly functional  OpenRC autologin agetty service for tty7, ~/.xinitrc and ~/.bashrc, but I think the bashrc conditionals are not right yet, because in the best effort so far the desktop goes away, then reappears, then finally disappears at shutdown. But it does at least autologin. The default xinitrc has some consolekit references which are outdated with elogind.

Re: Migration from Manjaro OpenRC - no autologin

Reply #4
I posted my apparently working (so far!) solution in the how to section.
Hopefully all these problems will all be resolved in a few months when things have settled down and a few upgrades have gone by.