Skip to main content
Topic: Issues with Xorg Update (Read 1642 times) previous topic - next topic

Issues with Xorg Update

Hi!

Today I updated the xorg drivers to V19, and after that, the PC doesn't boot to KDE anymore. I had to downgrade xorg-video-ati an xorg-video-amdgpu to V18 again.

My GPU is AMD Radeon VII.

Re: Issues with Xorg Update

Reply #1

I had to downgrade xorg-video-ati an xorg-video-amdgpu to V18 again.

This is wrong. You should only have one or the other not both. amdgpu are the modern drivers for amd cards while ati are the old legacy drivers. Since your card is one of the fancy new Vega ones, you should certainly be using the amdgpu drivers. Get rid of the xf86-video-ati one.

Reply #2
Well, both were installed from the latest gremlin iso. Just made -Syu

But thanks, I will try it.

Reply #3
Hi!

Today I updated the xorg drivers to V19, and after that, the PC doesn't boot to KDE anymore.

How far does it boot ?
There is a high chance you are have the issue described here
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,894.0.html

Code: [Select]
sudo ln -s -T /usr/lib/libdouble-conversion.so /usr/lib/libdouble-conversion.so.3.0.0
fixes it if it is your issue.

Reply #4
@gripped

It was xf86-video-ati. I just uninstalled it and everything was fine.

Reply #5
This is wrong. You should only have one or the other not both.

Maybe not the place but when more than one xf86-video-* is installed how does xorg pick one to use?  I can't remember what came with my installation or whether I installed some of them, I may have had ati, vesa, intel all installed.  If you have intel for example -intel is the one to use and only use a more generic one if for some reason it doesn't work?

Reply #6
Maybe not the place but when more than one xf86-video-* is installed how does xorg pick one to use?  I can't remember what came with my installation or whether I installed some of them, I may have had ati, vesa, intel all installed.  If you have intel for example -intel is the one to use and only use a more generic one if for some reason it doesn't work?

I thought that was down with modprobe

Reply #7

Honestly I have no idea. I think whatever driver is chosen probably depends on whatever WM/DE you use as well.

Reply #8
Honestly I have no idea. I think whatever driver is chosen probably depends on whatever WM/DE you use as well.

Hmm - X has changed a lot since I used to hack it by hand

Code: [Select]
[ruben@flatbush X11]$ cat  /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc 
#!/bin/sh
if [ -z "$XDG_VTNR" ]; then
  exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@"
else
  exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@" vt$XDG_VTNR
fi

Also note this

https://www.wikihow.com/Configure-X11-in-Linux

Reply #9
Perhaps not the best place, but how does xorg choose which xf86-video-* to use when there are multiple ones installed? I don't recall what was included in my installation or whether I added some of them; ati, vesa, and intel may have all been added. If you have Intel, for instance, use that and only fall back to a more generic one if it doesn't work.

[EDITed by an admin: remove spam]