Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: New Lxqt Installer Iso's ? (Read 1792 times) previous topic - next topic

New Lxqt Installer Iso's ?

Just wanted to ask if any new/updated iso's are on the works or being planned for Artix this year?

Re: New Lxqt Installer Iso's ?

Reply #1
Yep, I think it is needed.

Because once installed,
in order to be able to install any packages yoy have to update (pacman -Syyuu) and for that  I had to :
-  remove qpdfview
- rm /etc/artix-release

qpdfview was generating some confilts, aborting the update.

Reply #2
As this year ?
There are already few available from this year.

There are:
  • artix-lxqt-openrc-gremlins-20190222-x86_64.iso
  • artix-mate-openrc-community-20190405-x86_64.iso
  • artix-mate-openrc-community-full-20190406-x86_64.iso

New ISOs will be released as they are ready.

Reply #3

in order to be able to install any packages yoy have to update (pacman -Syyuu) and for that  I had to :

That's the downgrade command. This is such a persistent misuse, its incredible.
Note, downgrade works on artix as opposed to manjaro.
Don't issue downgrades like candy and expect normal upgrade behavior if gremlins is enabled.

Reply #4

You right. The pacman command line never been natual to me ;-)

The mistake is on my post, I think I used : pacman -Syyu

Reply #5
I think -Syy is also misused and found way too frequently on wikis and instructions.  If mirrors are switched and there may be a doubt on syncing of all databases then I understand they should be all brought up to the new one.  Maybe when a keyring is installed to validate pkgs in that db.  If a repository is added (an outside one, or testing, gremlins, etc) let's say xx and the simple -Sy is used it will just add that database to /var/lib/pacman/sync  (xx.files,xx.db,xx.sig), the one is the total list and versions currently in the repository , the other is a list of installed software that match the repository, the last is a signature file to verify the pkgs against.  Unless a new xx.files is issued and the current is the same -Sy doesn't download the file again, -Syy forces it to redownload regardless of it being the same.
Community.files is currently about 19MB.  system world and galaxy together are about 2.6MB.  On the other hand if you run to the bathroom and rush back community has changed, even at 1am new years eve. 

Reply #6
Do you mean it is always better to use pacman -Syu over   pacman -Syyu  ?
unless there is new keyring ?
because even in the case  a repository is added, Syu will be safe & more efficient.
Am i correct?

Reply #7
As this year ?
There are already few available from this year.

There are:
  • artix-lxqt-openrc-gremlins-20190222-x86_64.iso
  • artix-mate-openrc-community-20190405-x86_64.iso
  • artix-mate-openrc-community-full-20190406-x86_64.iso

New ISOs will be released as they are ready.

My bad, sorry i didnt see that there was an lxqt gremlins testing based iso out. 

Reply #8

Artix-mate is beta (it still fails for me in virtualbox)

And gremlins version of Lxqt is "testing" according to the download page (I really don't know what it means)

Reply #9
What fails where?
Be specific of what happens when you install and someone should be able to help.

There are various ways to install you know, outside calamares.  Read a bit of the arch-wiki.
One is using pacstrap but it belongs to arch-install-scripts I think that can't be installed together with artools.
There is a way to mount a new partition and copy everything from the live image into that directory (cp -ax / /mnt).
There is a way of mounting the new partition, making a /var/lib/pacman direcory/ies in it, and use pacman options -r and -b.  You have to use a proper chroot and go in and fix things before booting (fstab, grub, passwd, linux image etc.)

But be more specific in what the problem is with the live-mate image.  I booted it and it seemed fine.  I didn't try calamares because I prefer the other manual ways, plus I have already too many artix installations.  I even have manjaro-openrc  :)

Reply #10
Maybe split off into another thread for issues. Would be better for the community in finding them when they have there own thread.

Reply #12
And gremlins version of Lxqt is "testing" according to the download page (I really don't know what it means)

I suppose it means that it was built with gremlins (artix testing) repositories open.
You can make a simple pkg list (pacman -Qsq > /mnt/pkglist) and convert this list into an installation script.  Install artix-base and then let the script run installing everything that was on the live image.