Skip to main content
Topic: Haiku aka modern BeOS (edited, prev: BeOS on Linux) (Read 2782 times) previous topic - next topic

Haiku aka modern BeOS (edited, prev: BeOS on Linux)

https://www.haiku-os.org/

Anyone ever try this or use it?

Re: BeOS on Linux

Reply #1
Never heard of it.

Is it linux based??

Reply #4
The last time I checked it out, it couldn't boot on real hardware, neverthless on a VM it booted almost instantly, responsiveness was immediate and overall I think it could be the best desktop operating system if only it had software and drivers written for it. Back in my testing days it had just a bunch of programs, including Firefox. Because of that it was far from being useful as a daily driver.

Reply #5
The last time I checked it out, it couldn't boot on real hardware, neverthless on a VM it booted almost instantly, responsiveness was immediate and overall I think it could be the best desktop operating system if only it had software and drivers written for it. Back in my testing days it had just a bunch of programs, including Firefox. Because of that it was far from being useful as a daily driver.

It booted here on metal I don't use VMs and actually played music but it really is just nostalgia  but yes it was blazingly fast

Reply #6
I tried it this year on real hardware. It works!
Code: [Select]
ARTIX Dinit + SDDM + Enlightenment

Reply #7
It's a blast from the past, but as I couldn't get WiFi working, it was basically hamstrung for me. Will try again if they ever get out of alpha/beta status.

Reply #9
That's funny, i'm playing around with Haiku the last days and it seems pretty usable...atleast if you don't need to use wifi. ;)

Works in a VM and bare-metal as well.

Reply #10
I tried Haiku Beta2  as well from live USB.  No wifi and no mount for local disk drives, still playing with resolving these.

Other than that, impressed.  Shuts down in around 1 second.

Reply #11
Sorry, double posted.

Reply #13
Hehe, while my attention was drawn elsewhere they released beta4. https://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/r1beta4/release-notes/
Just tried it and oh my, it's a complete OS. Everything actually works, gtk/qt programs, Wine, all the BeOS things are robust and kept their classical look, all with nice and crisp scaling on 4k display. Natively booted on uefi with actual gpu accel of course. Really love it.

And yeah, it's not another distro but another OS :) I'll edit the thread a bit