#SigLevel = PackageRequired
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[extra]
SigLevel = PackageRequired
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[community]
# If you want to run 32 bit applications on your x86_64 system,
# enable the multilib repositories as required here.

[multilib]

# An example of a custom package repository.  See the pacman manpage for
# tips on creating your own repositories.
#[custom]
#SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
#Server = file:///home/custompkgs

the extra and community sections in the example look like this - with the arch suffix:

# Arch repos, overriden and [core] disabled
# [core]
# Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch
[extra]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch
[community]

Should I edit the change to mirrorlist-arch etc?

Re: Migrating from Manjaro

Reply #1
the pacman config file looks a little different from the migration instructions

From where did you get this? The default pacman.conf that artix provides has -arch suffix in it :

https://github.com/artix-linux/system/blob/testing/pacman/pacman.conf.x86_64

Code: [Select]
# If you want to run 32 bit applications on your x86_64 system,
# enable the multilib repositories as required here.

#[multilib-testing]
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch

#[multilib]

# An example of a custom package repository.  See the pacman manpage for
# tips on creating your own repositories.
#[custom]
#SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
#Server = file:///home/custompkgs

#[core]

[extra]

[community]

Should I edit the change to mirrorlist-arch etc?

Yes or you won't get any packages from arch repository..
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #2
Migrating from Manjaro...

Reply #3
the next command says  on
http://systemd-free.org/news.php

says
mv /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch

Since this is a manjaro openrc system, that is being migrated from, I want to double check that this is correct instruction.

Reply #4
Since this is a manjaro openrc system, that is being migrated from, I want to double check that this is correct instruction.

Yes you should run that because you have renamed all mirrorlist locations for [extra] [community] and [multilib] to /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch

If you want hand-holding for your migration to artix-linux please ask in freenode #artix IRC. Asking it in the forum seems waste a time
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #5
Yes you should run that because you have renamed all mirrorlist locations for [extra] [community] and [multilib] to /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch

If you want hand-holding for your migration to artix-linux please ask in freenode #artix IRC. Asking it in the forum seems waste a time
Seems a bit harsh to say asking questions here connotes "hand-holding" and is a waste of time. Isn't the forum a place to ask questions?
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #6

Seems a bit harsh to say asking questions here connotes "hand-holding" and is a waste of time. Isn't the forum a place to ask questions?

No, you should go to IRC where yo can be more efficiently abused by anti-social  preteens.  I'm sure that this user will not be an example of the communications about this distro, otherwise the project will just die in its infancy.  If he was ever responsible for real systems that have real data and and accountability his response would be less harsh and more adult-like.   Some things just need time for maturity.   The real problem is that there is no ignore switch here which I'd found, which is a good reason to prefer mailing lists.

This particular gentleman has misunderstood the first question and really didn't understand how the two questions are connected.  You can't be confident in his response until or unless a more proven team member comes around who I trust.  I can't really afford to hose this box based on rantings.

Obviously, if I take existing manjaro mirror lists and pretend they arch then I can be opening myself to a kettle of problems.  It is best to be patient until I confirm these posted steps with someone like artoo who is trustworthy so I can be reasonably sure it won't result in a disaster.

Reply #7
@thefallenrat 

What? What do you think for what this forum should be? For Off-Topic only? There are many people who don't like IRC (me included), or any other reason (for example to show a lot of code).

So why are you so rude?

Reply #8
How about some chill-break?
I too despise irc and my exposure to a zillion teenage hackers, but as fallen rat says it could get very frustrating if for each command in sequences you have to wait for a forum response, just to get asked for more information of what was done before.

And this is for a procedure that WARNS not to reboot unless it is complete.
I would recommend installing artix from scratch to a new partition and just copy your home to the new user home.  If they have the same name and user id (1000) since the copying across partitions is done by root only root can revert rights to the copied home files to the user, so make sure you do this or you will be returning to the login screen.

Then install all the packages you had in Manjaro-Openrc to make your desktop functional as it was.  So if all else fails do not delete the messed up system.  There is always a way to save it and repair it and there is much of your own configurations there (work) that can be copied.

Reply #9

I would recommend installing artix from scratch to a new partition

No, it needs to be migrated.

and just copy your home to the new user home.  If they have the same name and user id (1000) since the copying across partitions is done by root only root can revert rights to the copied home files to the user, so make sure you do this or you will be returning to the login screen.

No, it has top be migrated

Then install all the packages you had in Manjaro-Openrc to make your desktop functional as it was.  So if all else fails do not delete the messed up system.  There is always a way to save it and repair it and there is much of your own configurations there (work) that can be copied.

It is a server, and it needs to remain on line and has no spare partition space.  If the migration fails then the whole system will need to be rebuilt from the system backups including the custom software and AI programs.  It needs to migrated.  This system is not a toy.  It is a production server being used by about 60 developers.

Ruben

Reply #10
No, it needs to be migrated.

No, it has top be migrated

It is a server, and it needs to remain on line and has no spare partition space.  If the migration fails then the whole system will need to be rebuilt from the system backups including the custom software and AI programs.  It needs to migrated.  This system is not a toy.  It is a production server being used by about 60 developers.

Ruben
Just to clarify....you currently have a bootable Artix system, but are still using Manjaro "extra" and "community" repos, and you are unsure as to how to switch over to Arch "extra" and "community"?? Am I understanding correctly?

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #11
How about some chill-break?
I too despise irc and my exposure to a zillion teenage hackers, but as fallen rat says it could get very frustrating if for each command in sequences you have to wait for a forum response, just to get asked for more information of what was done before.

And this is for a procedure that WARNS not to reboot unless it is complete.
I would recommend installing artix from scratch to a new partition and just copy your home to the new user home.  If they have the same name and user id (1000) since the copying across partitions is done by root only root can revert rights to the copied home files to the user, so make sure you do this or you will be returning to the login screen.

Even on my workstation that is not reasonable.  This is not the 1990's.  My home directory alone is about 6 terabytes of data.

Reply #12
Just to clarify....you currently have a bootable Artix system, but are still using Manjaro "extra" and "community" repos, and you are unsure as to how to switch over to Arch "extra" and "community"?? Am I understanding correctly?

Best regards.

No, I have a straight manjaro openrc system and I never migrated.  I've been busy all summer and just read the announcement on the Manjaro forum to migrate.

Reply #13
The instructions are asking me to mv currently manjaro repsoitories to -arch and I'm not sure that will not trash the repository database.

Reply #14
Alright! Alright! Alright! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to be that rude. I was just suggesting @mrbrklyn to the irc because I thought he was not having a full time waiting in the forum and maybe wants a quick respond. And yeah I think should choose my words correctly from now on...

Man, english is hard :(
The instructions are asking me to mv currently manjaro repsoitories to -arch and I'm not sure that will not trash the repository database.

Well you can keep the manjaro repo, but you need to be unstable branch or it will break your system. But I don't think moving to arch will not break your system anyway