Skip to main content
Topic: Which Do You Prefer - OpenRC, s6, or runit?? (Read 45166 times) previous topic - next topic

Which Do You Prefer - OpenRC, s6, or runit??

Debating which to install..  Just wondering what your experiences are or whether anyone has any comparisons or preferences for OpenRC vs runit vs s6.. Think I may go with OpenRc first.

Re: Which Do You Prefer - OpenRC, s6, or runit??

Reply #1
I started with runit which was good. Only thing I didn't like were the messages written on the screen while booting.
That was a bit disturbing when using no desktop/login manager. When you want to type your password and something writes at the same time into the text. So I decided to try OpenRC.

OpenRC is a bit different in it's commands etc.. but until now, everything seems good.

S6 is new to me - can't say anything about it.

Reply #2
Unless you're going to be doing under the hood tinkering, the biggest difference between each as an end user is the commands you'll use when you install it and the boot screen. So just pick one. (this also mostly applies to current day systemd but you didn't hear that from me)

Reply #3
thanks for the replies guys. s6 on Obarun is pretty slick I must say. I'll just pick one and give it a spin. Thanks

Reply #4
Openrc. Since I was a gentoo user and used to openRc
Andromedan

Reply #5
I myself decided to use s6 because no other distro I tried offered it; writing scripts for it is fairly simple on general as well as runit is as well to write for

Reply #6
From my experience:
  • OpenRC works great on a desktop system where no service/deamon monitoring is needed (no support for restarting crashed programs out of the box).
  • Runit is better suited for running for servers/power users.
  • Never came in contact with S6, can't say.

Reply #7
From my experience:
  • OpenRC works great on a desktop system where no service/deamon monitoring is needed (no support for restarting crashed programs out of the box).
  • Runit is better suited for running for servers/power users.
  • Never came in contact with S6, can't say.

Just for sake of completeness, openrc supports service supervision too. Openrc can be configured to use the builtin openrc supervisor, or in theory use runit or s6 supervision.

Details here: https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/blob/master/supervise-daemon-guide.md

Reply #8
all three are easy to use. On the artix wiki there are explanations on how to make all 3 work. I have already tried all 3 and if you have problems with one of them you can always check my experience on the french forum.

Reply #9
Debating which to install..  Just wondering what your experiences are or whether anyone has any comparisons or preferences for OpenRC vs runit vs s6.. Think I may go with OpenRc first.

Actually, you may use any, according to your preferences, after reading and comparing the following, imho:

https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/OpenRC
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Runit
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/S6

Reply #10
Thank you I have 3 pc's and I'm currently using all 3.

Reply #11
I did the full switch from running Arch (for a little more than a year) to Artix with runit and things have been working very well. I don't know a whole lot about the inner workings of OpenRC or s6, but I like how simple runit makes things. I love just being able to go to two different folders to find available services and running/enabled services. The ln -s thing to enable services is very cool too! It feels pretty old-skool, I like that!  :D

Also just a cool note, my boot times have been significantly shortened with runit! It is very fast now, compared to what it was with systemd!

Reply #12
It's hard for me to make a choice. I'll try. S6 there is no easy explanation except the Artix wiki. My preference goes to OpenRC and Runit and the choice between the two is difficult. I've seen videos where people prefer Runit for the simplicity of these commands and in the end I think I prefer Runit too.

Reply #13
I think you are doing the right thing by having and using all three of them until one stands out or is more comfortable for you. I think just trying them is the best thing to do for your case.

Reply #14
S6 there is no easy explanation except the Artix wiki.

Glad to hear that the page was helpful. For whatever reason, s6 has not been tried by many distros, so resources on its usage are lacking. The official s6 documentation is very good, but it's probably a bit hard to navigate if you don't have a good conceptual overview of s6/s6-rc/s6-linux-init.