Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: shutdown/reboot hangs when nfs has been mounted (Read 3490 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: shutdown/reboot hangs when nfs has been mounted

Reply #30
Ok I've removed mount-netfs and changed mount-fstab to only mount all that doesn't have noauto or no_netdev set in mount options. HOPEFULLY this will not mount nfs on boot and no cause issue

Edit: new scripts version is in gremlins
But the NFS share was not mounted at boot. I had to mount it manually.

Did you manage to read IMPORTANT INFORMATION above? ;) ;) Apparently there is something wrong with the way wifi is handled at shutdown.

Anyhow, I'm waiting for the mirrors to sync and I'm going to try out your new revision from gremlins. Thank you! :)

Reply #31
To be clear, if you manually umount the nfs partition before shutting down, does the system still hang?

Reply #32
To be clear, if you manually umount the nfs partition before shutting down, does the system still hang?
No. It doesn't hang then. I can even umount it without the -f option. 

Reply #33
But the NFS share was not mounted at boot. I had to mount it manually.

Did you manage to read IMPORTANT INFORMATION above? ;) ;) Apparently there is something wrong with the way wifi is handled at shutdown.

Anyhow, I'm waiting for the mirrors to sync and I'm going to try out your new revision from gremlins. Thank you! :)
Hmm for testing, what happens if you stop wifi then shutdown?

Reply #34
The system hangs when I poweroff after I do
Code: [Select]
66-stop iwd
  and don't umount the nfs share beforehand.  Only now, I receive one message at shutdown, namely
*** WARNING ** The system is going down NOW

Reply #35
Thanks for the all testing! So that does confirm it is the nfs umounting in suite66 causing the hanging. That must mean our patch was not correct. I personally believe this should be handled in the umount step during shutdown in suite66, so I will go look at the code again.

Reply #36
The system hangs when I poweroff after I do
66-stop iwd
  and don't umount the nfs share beforehand.  Only now, I receive one message at shutdown, namely
*** WARNING ** The system is going down NOW
Well darn, I usually only get that message myself anyway. Going to look and think further and see if there is something else that can be done..

Reply #37
Thanks for the all testing! So that does confirm it is the nfs umounting in suite66 causing the hanging. That must mean our patch was not correct. I personally believe this should be handled in the umount step during shutdown in suite66, so I will go look at the code again.
Thank you Sir! I'm looking forward to you reviewing the code! :)

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

So, apparently modifying /etc/66/service/iwd and running 66-enable -t default -F iwd solves the issue:
[main]
@type = longrun
@description = "iNet Wireless Daemon"
@version = 0.0.1
@user = ( root )

[start]
@execute = ( /usr/lib/iwd/iwd )

[stop]
@execute = ( umount /nfs/srv )

Reply #38
@ndowens: discovered a trivial error (darn C) in the patch so the nfs partition was not being skipped. It's been corrected. The 'suite66-0.6.1.3-2.3' package is in gremlins now so if you could give that a try @mattz7.

Reply #39
@ndowens: discovered a trivial error (darn C) in the patch so the nfs partition was not being skipped. It's been corrected. The 'suite66-0.6.1.3-2.3' package is in gremlins now so if you could give that a try @mattz7.

Sure I'll give it a try once the mirrors sync, but I also discovered that forcing iwd to umount the nfs share before it stops also solves the issue.

Thank you!

Reply #40
Sure I'll give it a try once the mirrors sync, but I also discovered that forcing iwd to umount the nfs share before it stops also solves the issue.
Yeah that would also work. It'd be nice if umount would never hang however. If you could temporarily get rid of that [stop] part when testing, that would be great. Thanks for the testing so far!

Reply #41

Thank you!
Of course, I did
pacman -S iwd-suite66
66-enable -t default -F iwd

BTW, do you know which mirror has the 2.3 version you pushed?

EDIT: OK, got it. The last mirror from /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.

I will test that in a minute! :)

EDIT2: I had something that read "fstab failed" message, but the system shut down! THANK YOU! You da man! :D

I will mark the thread as solved, but can you further help me troubleshoot the message about fstab?  I will power on the computer and capture a picture of the message.

EDIT3: DAMN! It does not work. Maybe the last time around the iwd service kicked in with the stop procedure.

Reply #42
Of course, I did
pacman -S iwd-suite66
66-enable -t default -F iwd

BTW, do you know which mirror has the 2.3 version you pushed?

EDIT: OK, got it. The last mirror from /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.

I will test that in a minute! :)

EDIT2: I had something that read "fstab failed" message, but the system shut down! THANK YOU! You da man! :D

I will mark the thread as solved, but can you further help me troubleshoot the message about fstab?  I will power on the computer and capture a picture of the message.

EDIT3: DAMN! It does not work. Maybe the last time around the iwd service kicked in with the stop procedure.
Well darn, OK. Came up with a solution to the idea you did to get it to work. SO this means, I will be editing network-related services such as iwd and others to umount in [stop]

Edit: for the mount-fstab thing, only happens during shutdown? If so it could be ignored as it shouldn't cause an issue. The command it runs shouldn't cause an issue
mount -a -O noauto,no_netdev

Reply #43
OK. I want to thank you @ndowens and @Dudemanguy for your time.

I can't wait to test out iwd-suite66 once it's there!

Hope y'all enjoying your day wherever you are. Greetings from Poland! :)

EDIT:

Edit: for the mount-fstab thing, only happens during shutdown? If so it could be ignored as it shouldn't cause an issue. The command it runs shouldn't cause an issue
mount -a -O noauto,no_netdev
I had this message the first time around when shutdown went well. I'll test it once again with the modified iwd script.

Reply #44
Dang that's a bummer that did not work. Maybe there's more to nfs mounts than I expected. In the meantime, we'll try to adjust the stop/finish scripts which is worth it anyway. Could you post the output of cat /proc/mounts with your nfs mounted? I'm not sure what nfs mounts look like in that file (so we know what to grep for exactly).