Skip to main content
Topic: OpenRC 0.35 (Read 6089 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: OpenRC 0.35

Reply #15
what exactly is baud?
command_args_foreground="${agetty_options} ${port} ${baud} ${term_type}"

I know I am about 30 years late for this question :)

You must be so young you'd never seen or heard a phone modem, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 36k baud (blistering 1000b/sec) and we browsed with gopher and then lynx (not links), emailed with emacs.  There was no tty2 , all we had was that single tty.

Reply #16
Openrc 0.35 stucked after starting /etc/init.d/local (so no agetty started). No problems in 0.35.2
ARMtix

Reply #17
You done fixded it, as they say in no-queen's land.
Glad to see it is working now.

But if it is as you say, how come some peoples' artix did not encounter the bug and some of us did?
It only effected people that had symlinks in /etc/init.d/*, in your case your aggety.ttyX are symlinks to agetty. It also effected some people's networking. If there was a symlink from /etc/init.d/net.eth0 to /etc/init.d/net.lo, the network would also fail to start. It did not effect me since I don't have a network symlink and my agetty files in /etc/init.d are not symlinks.

What kind of artix are you running?
I converted my machine before artix even had a name back when me and artoo started the project. However my conversion is more drastic, on this machine I converted arch(systemd with logind and udev) -> arch-openrc(sysvinit with consolekit2 and eudev) -> artix(openrc-init with elogind and eudev). I implemented openrc-init in arch-openrc, but never pushed it to the public, so my laptop is the only machine that is like this and has real agetty.ttyX scripts instead of symlinks. So yeah, my machine still has cruft from arch and arch-openrc.

I sure haven't messed with the init or the supervising system, it is as it came.
Which is why you have symlinks in /etc/init.d/agetty.ttyX, that is how it is by default unless changed by the user.

My one installation has not been broken once ever since that July' 2017 Artix 1 installer.  I think, apart from the developing team, myself and @mandog were the first to install it, first in the forum.
Yes, you guys were the first to come over from Manjaro. My conversion happened before the project actually had a name and before it was public. Before we had a name we called it "Cromnix" temporarily which is the same name as the other distro I started for my university thesis. That is why there was the word Cromnix in various parts of artools, buildbot, and the distro until they got replaced by the name Artix. In general Artix has been very solid for me as well. I use it as my main box.

I thought out of the error it would be a folder where pointers of thing to start would go.  Then the error told me /etc/in is a folder, not a file.  So I made a file, blank, then added some stuff, and got a warning.

.... that was fun, it reminded me of running on a motorcycle with no brakes ...    heeeeee haaawwww!
Sounds like fun, well at least until you get into oncoming traffic. ;)

Openrc 0.35 stucked after starting /etc/init.d/local (so no agetty started). No problems in 0.35.2
Thanks for the report, glad things are working again.
Chris Cromer

Reply #19
Hi @Chris Cromer , I use the "standard" repos, & your OP has me wondering whether the coming changes will effect the autostart X at login method that I'm using as seen in this post:

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,306.msg2498.html#msg2498

Thanks for your time, & for all of your contributions in making Artix available for us. :)
Most likely it will not be effected. The agetty system was not actually changed at all between 0.34 and 0.35. The bug that was encountered in 0.35 was not related to agetty, it effected all symlinks that are in /etc/init.d. That symlink bug has now been fixed in 0.35.2.
Chris Cromer

Reply #20
That's good to hear Chris.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply #21
Yes, you guys were the first to come over from Manjaro. My conversion happened before the project actually had a name and before it was public. Before we had a name we called it "Cromnix" temporarily which is the same name as the other distro I started for my university thesis. That is why there was the word Cromnix in various parts of artools, buildbot, and the distro until they got replaced by the name Artix.

Was that for a Masters Degree or a PhD?  I had considered doing that.  I chose dinosaurs instead.

Reply #22
After all this time, I thought Cromnix was a separate system of your own using runit.  I just recently downloaded the image and discovered it was just an early artix version.  It took more than 2hrs to download from slowforge and it was small.
I think it is great that all of you joined forces to create this, as separately none would have had the chance to have created something of this magnitude.    For us it is like betting against the odds and keep winning.

Reply #23
After all this time, I thought Cromnix was a separate system of your own using runit.  I just recently downloaded the image and discovered it was just an early artix version.  It took more than 2hrs to download from slowforge and it was small.
I think it is great that all of you joined forces to create this, as separately none would have had the chance to have created something of this magnitude.    For us it is like betting against the odds and keep winning.
Originally we were going to use Cromnix for this project, but we had to scrap that idea since it is not compatible with Arch Linux's repos and packages. Cromnix is built based on LFS(Linux From Scratch) which means packages from Arch didn't work with it. So that is how Artix was born, we needed it to be Arch Linux compatible and to pull packages from upstream Arch.

Cromnix will remain the way it is now, it will not be a fork of Arch Linux, it's design and construction will not be dictated by upstream Arch Linux. The goal of Cromnix is also very different, I want to see it become like debian. Structured, stable, policies, release points, an upstream linux but that does not use systemd, etc. So Cromnix will not be a rolling release like Arch and Artix. However it will take a lot of work, and we really needed something now, that is why we decided to do Artix as a fork of Arch Linux instead of using Cromnix which just isn't ready yet.
Chris Cromer

Reply #24
previously on tty1 I had the option "-J " to prevent clearing of the openrc boot log
now, tty1 fails to open (on the latest openrc package)
I see the option
#quite = "yes"
am I right in assuming changing this to no and uncommenting will bring back the previous behavior?

Reply #25
previously on tty1 I had the option "-J " to prevent clearing of the openrc boot log
now, tty1 fails to open (on the latest openrc package)
I see the option
#quite = "yes"
am I right in assuming changing this to no and uncommenting will bring back the previous behavior?
No, quiet has nothing to do with clearing the boot log. Quiet makes the display prettier by not showing the agetty text until agetty is started.

-J is the correct way to do it. You have to add -J to /etc/conf.d/agetty.tty1 in the extra options.
Chris Cromer

Reply #26
is it quite or quiet?
I believe it should be quiet

Reply #28
No, quiet has nothing to do with clearing the boot log. Quiet makes the display prettier by not showing the agetty text until agetty is started.

-J is the correct way to do it. You have to add -J to /etc/conf.d/agetty.tty1 in the extra options.
ok well it's failing for me, anyone else?
Code: [Select]
corrupted size vs. prev_size
/usr/lib/openrc/sh/supervise-daemon.sh: line 25:  2770 Aborted                 supervise-daemon agetty.tty2 --start --pidfile /run/agetty.tty2.pid /sbin/agetty -- -J tty2 38400 linux

command with --debug:
https://pastebin.com/nLVAjbU9

Reply #29
ok well it's failing for me, anyone else?
Code: [Select]
corrupted size vs. prev_size
/usr/lib/openrc/sh/supervise-daemon.sh: line 25:  2770 Aborted                 supervise-daemon agetty.tty2 --start --pidfile /run/agetty.tty2.pid /sbin/agetty -- -J tty2 38400 linux

command with --debug:
https://pastebin.com/nLVAjbU9
Show me your /etc/conf.d/agetty.tty2 and /etc/init.d/agetty.tty2
Chris Cromer