Skip to main content
Topic: New ISOs - Plasma/LXQt and MATE/LXDE (Read 9338 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New ISOs - Plasma/LXQt and MATE/LXDE

Reply #15
Two new community ISOs are available for download and testing. Feel free to post any comments, suggestions, fixes and complaints here.

Thanks to @Nadir and the anonymous tester that provided an extensive email with suggestions for the first MATE community ISO and to P3d3f for testing and debugging the first Plasma/LXQt ISO.

Changelog
1. Calamares has been updated and can now install correctly a fully encrypted filesystem.
2. The issue with mkinitcpio.conf blocking installation has (hopefully) been fixed.
3. A udev rule has been implemented that sets the kernel I/O scheduler depending on the disk type (rotational or solid state).
4. Both versions feature now a fully uniform GTK/QT look! A new package has been created, artix-dark-theme also available from [galaxy], that takes care of that and can be installed separately. A bonus Plasma splash screen is included.
5. Pacman frontends are there, pamac for GTK and octopi for QT.

how can udev affect the scheduler for the OS?  The scheduler is a core part of the kernel and it schedules everything for the OS.  You can't have two running in the same system without ending up with resoruces locks and problems with semihpors.

Reply #16

how can udev affect the scheduler for the OS?  The scheduler is a core part of the kernel and it schedules everything for the OS.  You can't have two running in the same system without ending up with resoruces locks and problems with semihpors.

I/O scheduler ≠ process scheduler. An I/O scheduler can be set per drive.

Reply #17
I/O scheduler ≠ process scheduler. An I/O scheduler can be set per drive.
How does that work.  Hardware I/O causes preemptive interupts on the Work Cue of the scheduler.

Reply #18
How does that work.  Hardware I/O causes preemptive interupts on the Work Cue of the scheduler.

If I fully knew how it all worked I'd probably be a kernel developer not a taxi driver  :)

But it makes sense for different I/O schedulers to be able to be used for different storage mediums. What is optimal for a HDD may not  be optimal for an SSD or a tape backup drive. And usage patterns. eg mainly random database reads and writes vs mainly sequential access could mean a particular  I/O scheduler performs better than another in a given situation.

I'm far from an expert. I just know it's a 'thing'.

Reply #19
Okay, nice, finally can download it :).

Reply #20
Hey, sorry for double posting howevfer i have got a question.

I have installed KDE .iso few days ago and laptop runs very quietly and doesn't heat much too (sensors show 35-40 temps which is amazing) and i wonder how this has been achieved, because i have also got arch linux installed and while using this something in the laptop spins like crazy, not sure if it's hard drive or CPU, here in Artix the laptop is just very quiet and doesnt heat much too... How to accomplish this?? Is because of hddparm?

ohh damn i am a bit disappointed that there is pulseaudio installed by default :-).
btw i have already deleted pa

btw this distro is amazing temps are very low and laptop fans are quiet!!!

Reply #21
Hello there, I need help getting plasma desktop up and running on my Laptop and PC. Thing is when booting from USB on both of my machines, it directly loads the LXqt desktop while when I tried to boot the USB on an old Dell desktop it sent me to a logon screen that allowed me to choose between LXqt and Plasma.

Since I want to use Plasma instead of LXqt, I need some help/guidance in getting this to work. I actually remembered that there were problems with using Plasma desktop on a machine running with an Nvidia GPU but that was when I did research last year so I'm not sure about now. My desktop is running with an Nvidia GPU while my laptop's on switchable graphics between Intel HD Graphics and an Nvidia GPU. Could this be because artix linux actively avoids running Plasma on machines with Nvidia GPU?

Reply #22
Booting on LXQt doens't prevent you to install plasma ?!

Reply #23
Hello there, I need help getting plasma desktop up and running on my Laptop and PC. Thing is when booting from USB on both of my machines, it directly loads the LXqt desktop while when I tried to boot the USB on an old Dell desktop it sent me to a logon screen that allowed me to choose between LXqt and Plasma.
The ISOs are configured to auto-login to the lightest desktop, LXQt in your case - LXDE in the other flavour. Seeing the logon screen at live boot is unexpected behaviour, but if you logout from LXQt you will be presented with the option to login into Plasma.

Since I want to use Plasma instead of LXqt, I need some help/guidance in getting this to work. I actually remembered that there were problems with using Plasma desktop on a machine running with an Nvidia GPU but that was when I did research last year so I'm not sure about now. My desktop is running with an Nvidia GPU while my laptop's on switchable graphics between Intel HD Graphics and an Nvidia GPU. Could this be because artix linux actively avoids running Plasma on machines with Nvidia GPU?
The ISO installs both LXQt and Plasma. At first login after installation you can choose your preferred DE and the login manager will remember it. You can uninstall LXQt afterwards but it so small that it's worth keeping it in case an update or a user intervention breaks Plasma.

Reply #24
@nous: Thank you very much for your response! I'm glad that is the case, I will then proceed to try things out as I didn't end up installing due to me thinking that I won't be able to have Plasma up if LXQt is the one active on the live session before installation.

Reply #25
Thank you. I have installed plasma iso and I liked this to use as live distro. It works perfectly with https://github.com/aguslr/multibootusb/pull/257

But how I can customise/fix bugs personally for me and for others? Do we have a repo with build scripts for this iso(s)?

P.S.: sorry for stupid question, I'm newbie in arch and linux.

Reply #26
But how I can customise/fix bugs personally for me and for others? Do we have a repo with build scripts for this iso(s)?

Yes we do. You can clone it inside ~/artools-workspace and experiment. You'll also need artools installed and configured. Play around and build your ISO with buildiso -p <plasma-lxqt|mate-lxde>.