Skip to main content
Topic: Re: Basic Suite66 guide (Read 1020 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Basic Suite66 guide

Re: Basic Suite66 guide

I recently switched to c66 too and am trying to test KDE and Cinnamon. There are no problems with KDE at all - everything is just super, but with Cinnamon there is a problem - I can not install either Latte-dock or Plank. I tried both the AUR and the program installer - the system does not start Latte (says that it is already working ???) but with Plank everything is generally without reaction.
Can you suggest a solution to the problem, since I'm already used to using docks.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Re: Re: Basic Suite66 guide

Reply #1
Here I have to ask, do you have installed package "galaxy/artix-archlinux-support" (for multilib: "lib32/lib32-artix-archlinux-support") and enabled the Archlinux repositories in "/etc/pacman.conf" ?

The mentioned programs are according to my search present in Archlinux repositories "community/plank" and "community/latte-dock".

Regarding the errors you are experiencing I have no idea, can you try to procure some logs?

Reply #3
... with Plank everything is generally without reaction...
It's not quite clear what "without reaction" means.  You aren't forgot to add plank to the list of autostarted applications, are you?  Plank doesn't depend on init system.  It's not enough just to install community/plank package, it doesn't start automatically on its own.  Plank runs without a problem here.

Reply #4
I just tried installing plank in a QEMU VM running Artix installed from the latest weekly Plasma OpenRC ISO, and there were no issues. Like @just said, it needs to be added to Plasma startup, by using the Application Menu->Settings->System Settings->Startup and Shutdown->Autostart->Add...->Add Application..., then typing "plank" and clicking OK. After relogging (Application Menu->Power / Session->Log Out, then login again), plank starts without problems and its buttons are functional.

As said, you need to configure artix-archlinux-support and then install Arch package plank, with
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -S plank

Update: Just tested the same in Cinnamon: Menu->Preferences->Startup Applications->+ (Add)->Choose application, then start typing "pl", choose Plank, then Add Application. Menu->Logout, then login and Plank should appear, again with all buttons working.

Update 2: Latte indeed has problems, it seems with Qt theme "gtk". I tried running it with QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk2 and QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=Fusion, but that just doesn't print the error message, still not showing Latte. I'm not sure if it is due to additional configuration needed by Latte or its incompatibility with how Qt themes are set in Artix. Someone with more in-depth knowledge of Qt would probably have a better answer.

Reply #5
Sorry I did not answer earlier, but was far from the computer.
The problem is that in cinnamon does not work in any of the proposed solutions.
I tried to do everything as advised, but no result. I will try to hammer this problem further.

Reply #6
Please provide your /etc/pacman.conf (use https://paste.artixlinux.org). Like I said, I tested the plank package from the Arch community repository, and it works with Cinnamon in Artix. Also, if your repositories are ordered correctly (Artix before Arch), it would be helpful if in the same way you provided the file plank.log obtained by using the following commands:
Code: [Select]
$ pkill plank
$ plank >plank.log 2>&1

Reply #7
Sorry, but I could not install Plank
The system did not accept and showed an error.
Anyway, thanks for the help, but I have already decided to abandon this OS. I use KDE, where I simply do not have this problem, and I will stay on it.
Thank you all for your complicity.

Reply #8
The system did not accept and showed an error.
What error?

I use KDE, where I simply do not have this problem, and I will stay on it.
KDE is not an operating system (OS), but a desktop environment (DE). Operating system's name is GNU/Linux. Artix is but one of its distributions (distros).