Skip to main content
Topic: eeepc 1001px - Sound issue (no sound at startup and master sound wrongly mapped) (Read 1484 times) previous topic - next topic

eeepc 1001px - Sound issue (no sound at startup and master sound wrongly mapped)

Hello,

I just installed Atrix openrc xfce edition on my Asus eeepc 1001px notebook.

I encounter an issue very annoying : no sound at startup.

If I check sound level in alsamixer
  • ]My laptop sound can be adjusted with headphone cursor (whyyy headphone I just have the embedded speaker...).
  • Headphone level is 0 and muted

(see attachment)

How can I change this behavior?

Re: eeepc 1001px - Sound issue (no sound at startup and master sound wrongly mapped)

Reply #1
Install and enable alsa-utils-openrc which saves and restores alsa mixer levels.

Re: eeepc 1001px - Sound issue (no sound at startup and master sound wrongly mapped)

Reply #2
I have an old EEEPC  1001PXD and the internal speakers have always been mapped to the headphone control, as well as headphone jack mapped to internal speaker control.  This happens on  this particular machine with all linux distros, with Alsa or Pulse.  I have lived with it and just use the headphone control to adjust speaker volume. 

Reply #3
Install and enable alsa-utils-openrc which saves and restores alsa mixer levels.
I added through :
sudo rc-update add  alsasound default but no change.

I think the issue comes with pulseaudio but I do not know where is concern.

Reply #4
I have an old EEEPC  1001PXD and the internal speakers have always been mapped to the headphone control, as well as headphone jack mapped to internal speaker control.  This happens on  this particular machine with all linux distros, with Alsa or Pulse.  I have lived with it and just use the headphone control to adjust speaker volume. 
Yes, I encountered the same issue on others linux distrib based on ubuntu too. But on some others the issue does not come (slax for example).

I am quite sure the issue comes from pulseaudio but I do not understand where is the misconfig. I have some doubt on kernel too but ... 

Reply #5
Yeah, I remember in years 200x I must have on laptop a script, which save and restore alsa state on rebbot and boot.

But because pulseaudio works very well, a long time I use alsa no more.

Reply #7
Yes, I encountered the same issue on others linux distrib based on ubuntu too. But on some others the issue does not come (slax for example).

I am quite sure the issue comes from pulseaudio but I do not understand where is the misconfig. I have some doubt on kernel too but ... 

Currently I am running Alsa only, no Pulse.  As stated in the Arch link from Alium; I go into Alsamixer and set the controls to what works (unmute headphone, up its volume), then as root:

Code: [Select]
alsactl store

This will save the current settings and Alsa will use them upon startup.

I once dug deep into the Alsa config files trying see if a change could be made somewhere to switch the speaker/headphone settings.  It may be there but I couldnt find it.

Reply #8
You can use the command line to send alsa commands, this can be useful if you need to run something at startup if it wasn't working very well. If I remember correctly, tracing what those do is quite simple because they very quickly end in sending an ioctl command to the kernel driver. So most probably, if the headphone and main speaker is switched on certain hardware,  it could be something to do with the kernel driver. What controls the volume on the actual headphone socket if you had 'phones to try? It might be worth checking if the correct driver is being loaded and whether there is some module command switch to adjust it.
I'm using alsa and no pulseaudio with alsa-utils-openrc enabled in default and it remembers my settings. I'm in the "audio" group too.
(But I am not using an eee.)
Code: [Select]
$ amixer set Headphone mute
$ amixer set Headphone unmute
If alsa believes it is already unmuted it won't send a command to the driver, I had a situation once where audio was muted at boot but it showed as unmuted in alsamixer, so I ran mute then unmute in a desktop startup script. I'm not sure how much of this would be relevant if you had pulseaudio installed as well though.