Skip to main content
Topic: Ranting day: I never reached the end of the the installer. (Read 14355 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ranting day: I never reached the end of the the installer.

Reply #45
I am going to take a walk now, get some fresh air and enjoy feeling stupid.

Generally speaking it is not a problem feeling stupid.
But here the '-d' just means "debug logs", it does not solve the problem.
The problem has been solved by artoo aparently.

I'll try an install on a real machine soon.
And will see how it behave on KDE or Maté.

Reply #46
Generally speaking it is not a problem feeling stupid.
But here the '-d' just means "debug logs", it does not solve the problem.
The problem has been solved by artoo aparently.

I'll try an install on a real machine soon.
And will see how it behave on KDE or Maté.

Yes, I have just found out that -d does nothing.
I ran installer again straight from the menu and it installed.
So yes, there was a problem and it has been fixed.

Reply #47
The thing is its a net install so things if reported correctly can be solved very easy its not the installer at fault its a install script or package, the installer is just a container for install scripts. Hence Calamare -d apart from telling you everything is working it also gives the output so if it fails you can report the exact position and error, then it gets fixed easy.

I'm sorry ranting and raving gets nowhere just adds frustration to the user and users trying to help, as you found out
But glad its fixed as its must be very frustrating for some users.

By the way no such thing as stupid we all do it it called being human or in my case a old fucked up mad dog biker. "to much sex drugs and rock and roll",  you know what I'd do it all over again man I had a great time from the mid 60s on even. married 3 times the latest a 24yr old dolly bird did learn by one mistake the latest I gave her the house on the day we married 14yrs on she has not thrown me out, so I'm happy.

Reply #48

By the way no such thing as stupid we all do it it called being human or in my case a old fucked up mad dog biker. "to much sex drugs and rock and roll" you know what i'd do it all over again man I had a great time from the mid 60s on even. married 3 times the latest a 24yr old dolly bird did learn by one mistake the latest I gave her the house on the day we married 14yrs on she has not thrown me out, so i'm happy.

hahaha! :)

Reply #49
When calamares doesn't works 99.9% of the times is just because some dependencies problem between Artix repos and Arch extra and community, something that lot of new comers doesn't understand is that Artix is not just a new Linux distribution, Artix is an OpenRC distribution that is based in a SystemD distribution, we can not just copy packages blindly like Manjaro does, we are very few developers and we need way more hardware power to can be in a point were our automatic releases are fast and reliable.

We all have lives that we want to enjoy but we decided to gift our precious time in bring something amazing to every one, please, try to be calm and have an open attitude.

Happy to see that at least you can install from calamares.

Reply #50
Wen calamares doesn't works 99.9% of the times is just because some dependencies problem between Artix repos and Arch extra and community, something that lot of new comers doesn't understand is that Artix is not just a new Linux distribution, Artix is an OpenRC distribution that is based in a SystemD distribution, we can not just copy packages blindly like Manjaro does, we are very few developers and we need way more hardware power to can be in a point were our automatic releases are fast and reliable.

We all have lives that we want to enjoy but we decided to gift our precious time in bring something amazing to every one, please, try to be calm and have an open attitude.

Happy to see that at least you can install from calamares.
Thank you for taking time to explain and thank you for your hard work.
I am happy I was able to install. Sorry for sounding rude at times.

Reply #51
You can install yaourt and yaourt-gui to have access to AUR, but pamac exists in the artix repositories too.  It actually just got updated to the second new version 6.1.1 but the apptrayicon thingy is left behind to 6.0.1??  and somehow it is problematic.  If you had it installed before it still works.  That is on world-testing, while the tray app is on world.
There is also pamac-classic based on the old 5 (appearance) but the version number is 6.01.
Then there is pamac-aur in AUR.

Make sure you utilize the appropriate polkit for your desktop to make it work.
It is funkier than it used to be (2-3 months ago in Manjaro) but still nowhere as functional as synaptic.

For Plasma users like myself, who prefer a qt based package manager, there is octopi-git from the AUR. It works very well for me. Only downside is compiling it, but not that big of a deal.

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #52

Main dowside is that Octopi sucks ;-)
Usability is as bad as Synaptic
ie example: when you search, you can't tell if results are AUR.
To select a package, right click ? wtf?

etc

Reply #53
If there is one thing I miss in the arch world from the debian world is synaptic.  I have yet to find a package manager that even comes close if you learn how to use it.  Then Debian has nothing like aur, but you can pretty much throw any repository that is debian like to it and it will handle things.  Thanks to devuan you can have your synaptic and eat it without systemd.  You can even sneak into debian repositories and borrow stuff that are free of systemd.  Apt made great sense to me, pacman is still something to learn.  It is also much faster than to be dealing with octopi, yaourt, or pamac.  A great feature synaptic has is screenshots of gui pkgs.  If you don't know what a pkg like a drawing/graphics/av/editor looks like you don't have to fully install it to find out you don't like it.  Sometimes a quick look of what it looks like helps you decide.

I know that stuff like this are related to taste but some of the criticism has to be objective.  What is it that synaptic can not do that pamac can do?  I believe  it does not even have a quarter of functionality than synaptic has.

Reply #54
I followed the migration process with ArchLinux without any hassle; you could also install the old arch-openrc iso from https://sourceforge.net/projects/archopenrc/files/arch-openrc/ then migrate to Artix (this has worked for me as well).

Reply #55
If there is one thing I miss in the arch world from the debian world is synaptic.  I have yet to find a package manager that even comes close if you learn how to use it.  Then Debian has nothing like aur, but you can pretty much throw any repository that is debian like to it and it will handle things.  Thanks to devuan you can have your synaptic and eat it without systemd.  You can even sneak into debian repositories and borrow stuff that are free of systemd.  Apt made great sense to me, pacman is still something to learn.  It is also much faster than to be dealing with octopi, yaourt, or pamac.  A great feature synaptic has is screenshots of gui pkgs.  If you don't know what a pkg like a drawing/graphics/av/editor looks like you don't have to fully install it to find out you don't like it.  Sometimes a quick look of what it looks like helps you decide.

I know that stuff like this are related to taste but some of the criticism has to be objective.  What is it that synaptic can not do that pamac can do?  I believe  it does not even have a quarter of functionality than synaptic has.

O my I find the opposite apt is slow and clunky synaptic is out of the 90s read packman roseta to start to learn pacman not stupid GUIs they are just basic even in Debian land I used Sidux/siduction for years as a second DE 

Reply #56
Quote from: conky60  -  A day ago
Only downside is compiling it

Main dowside is that Octopi sucks ;-)
Usability is as bad as Synaptic
ie example: when you search, you can't tell if results are AUR.
To select a package, right click ? wtf?

etc

Perhaps octopi is not for you, however, I find it to be intuitive and adequate for my needs. I use pacman in the terminal for updates and octopi for searching and installing software....works for me, and it's qt. ;)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #57
I know that stuff like this are related to taste but some of the criticism has to be objective.

About Synaptic?

First: Why right mouse button to select?
Then:
Why 2 filter box?
Why do we need to install to see the list of files?

Pamac feels more & more bloated, IMHO I prefered the old version (2 years ago) (v2 if I remember correclty).
but it is fast and it feels the need : you can search AUR, jump  to the PKGbuild..

Reply #58
O my I find the opposite apt is slow and clunky synaptic is out of the 90s read packman roseta to start to learn pacman not stupid GUIs they are just basic even in Debian land I used Sidux/siduction for years as a second DE 

Frankly @Mandog... the pacman command line arguments are the weirdest of  history...

Why not simply "pacman install"? "pacman remove"?  Do you the command to get the installed files list?
why -Syyuu instead of "update"? why?  ;-)

Want to get the list of installed packages?
dpkg --get-selections    vs    pacman -Qqe | grep -vx "$(pacman -Qqg base)" | grep -vx "$(pacman -Qqm)" > main.lst
(Why Qqe?)

Reply #59
Quote from: mandog  -  56 minutes ago

Frankly @Mandog... the pacman command line arguments are the weirdest of  history...

Why not simply "pacman install"? "pacman remove"?  Do you the command to get the installed files list?
why -Syyuu instead of "update"? why?  ;-)

Want to get the list of installed packages?
dpkg --get-selections    vs    pacman -Qqe | grep -vx "$(pacman -Qqg base)" | grep -vx "$(pacman -Qqm)" > main.lst
(Why Qqe?)
Ranting about pacman on an arch-based distro forum..... ???

Best regards.