Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] Booting the base iso on 512MB of ram (Read 1003 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Booting the base iso on 512MB of ram

I was trying to install artix on a 512MB vps, and botting the base iso show an error that reads:

Initramfs unpacking failed: write error

I think it is trying to load the iso into ram, which it won't fit.

Re: Booting the base iso on 512MB of ram

Reply #1
You can create a custom, stripped-down ISO yourself - it's pretty easy. There are a few packages you can safely remove (depending on your VPS hardware specs) from the package list: btrfs-progs, b43-fwcutter, crda, ipw2100-fw, ipw2200-fw, jfs-utils, man-pages, ntfs-3g, reiserfs-progs, xfsprogs, zsh, bluez, artix-grub-theme.

Once you bake a small enough ISO to make it boot and install, you can add whatever package you need back into the system. Base ISOs consume ridiculously small amounts of RAM - the OpenRC one I just tested uses only 61MB, logged in.

Reply #2
is it not possible to not load the iso to ram? just read it from the cdrom?

Reply #4
ayy, it works!. fwiw, I tried the arch iso which is even bigger, and it boots fine. So probably better to make the full base iso not load itself into ram?

Reply #5
ayy, it works!. fwiw, I tried the arch iso which is even bigger, and it boots fine. So probably better to make the full base iso not load itself into ram?
Glad it worked. We use a different toolchain for our ISO images, this might require some deep digging (or be really trivial).