Skip to main content
Topic: Intel UHD 750 graphics has some issues (Read 1299 times) previous topic - next topic

Intel UHD 750 graphics has some issues

MPV doesn't play videos and the screenshot program on my Cinnamon DE doesn't capture opened windows on my desktop or it captures something on another workspace that I already closed. I installed VLC and it produced the same result with videos.

I know its the intel drivers because I can switch to an old Nvidia card and everything works fine. As a side note, ungoogled-chromium wouldn't work  properly until I turned off hardward acceleration. I searched all over the place for answers but my search skills seems to indicate I'm the only person who has these problems with the Intel UHD 750.

I can live with the Nvidia card but it's just frustrating using Nvidia.

Re: Intel UHD 750 graphics has some issues

Reply #2
I'll give that a test. I pretty much assumed the distro didn't matter. But it's worth a check.

Reply #3
I'll give that a test. I pretty much assumed the distro didn't matter. But it's worth a check.

Hard to know. Intel video driver is now built in the kernel. With the unusual kernel update pace these days, I am used to see things are broken easily after a kernel update.  ;)

You could also test the LTS kernel (not 5.15.x) to see if it makes a difference.

Reply #4
I tested the live enviorment of Manjaro Cinnamon and Void XFCE (since it was built more recent). Manjaro worked fine playing video; Void played  video but had no sound. I couldn't get any sound to work on Void. The hardware on my box may be too new. I'm sure an update will come through eventually.

Reply #5
Manjaro worked fine playing video; Void played  video but had no sound.

Well, now you know your hardware works. Should be easy to figure out what to do next by comparing drivers & config in Manjaro & Artix. Usually, Artix is more cutting edge than Manjaro.

Have you tried the 5.10.xx LTS kernel?

Sound in Void is irrelevant. You can ignore.

Reply #6
I haven't tried any LTS kernel but I see a difference in the setup. The "unloaded:" line is missing in the Manjaro setup:

Code: [Select]
/************
*   Artix   *
************/

sudo inxi -G

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel RocketLake-S GT1 [UHD Graphics 750] driver: i915 v: kernel
  Display: server: X.Org 1.21.1.1 driver: loaded: intel
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa s-res: 3440x1440
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Graphics (RKL GT1) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.5

sudo lshw -c video

*-display                
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: RocketLake-S GT1 [UHD Graphics 750]
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       logical name: /dev/fb0
       version: 04
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list fb
       configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 mode=3440x1440 visual=truecolor xres=3440 yres=1440
       resources: iomemory:600-5ff iomemory:400-3ff irq:143 memory:6000000000-6000ffffff memory:4000000000-400fffffff ioport:6000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

/**************
*   Manjaro   *
**************/

sudo inxi -G

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel RocketLake-S GT1 [UHD Graphics 750] driver: i915 v: kernel
           Display: server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: modesetting s-res: 3440x1440
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Graphics (RKL GT1) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.1

sudo lshw -c video

*-display                
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: RocketLake-S GT1 [UHD Graphics 750]
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       logical name: /dev/fb0
       version: 04
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list fb
       configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 mode=3440x1440 visual=truecolor xres=3440 yres=1440
       resources: iomemory:600-5ff iomemory:400-3ff irq:143 memory:6000000000-6000ffffff memory:4000000000-400fffffff ioport:6000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

My question would be how do I removed the unloaded? And would that be a good idea? There's a couple of other differences...TBH, I don't know which should change or how to change them.

Reply #7
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel_module#Blacklisting

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,1923.0.html
First go through wiki.archlinux.org and wiki.artixlinux.org and use the relevant parts (all except the systemd commands on the archlinux wiki) to set up your system really correctly.

Reply #8
Update.

It seems that installing the xf86-video-intel package may be the source of the problems I was experiencing. I've been intending to install a  window manager over the base install and took the opportunity to do so yesterday. Everything seems to work now, except maybe a little screen tearing when I scroll too quickly. So far I've been pretty happy with how things are coming together. The Arch Wiki has a "note" saying that the xf86-video-intel package can be the problem: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Intel_graphics#Installation , so I didn't install it.