Skip to main content
Topic: Installed at the exact wrong time, ffmpeg breakages. Need help downgrading. (Read 3122 times) previous topic - next topic

Installed at the exact wrong time, ffmpeg breakages. Need help downgrading.

So I'm using downgrade to try and get the right combination of ffmpeg and dependencies and I'm in dependency hell. A great, very cool mixture of packages which depend on both the new and old version here. Tall order to find the right combo...
The first layer of dependencies includes chromaprint, freerdp, and mpv, which then if added to the downgrade expands to more and more packages that depend on those. I started with a base kde install then switched to gnome + gnome-extra, pretty much nothing else installed. Any advice?

Re: Installed at the exact wrong time, ffmpeg breakages. Need help downgrading.

Reply #1
I just ended up going the nuclear route and using -Rcns to remove the first layer of dependency hell besides mpv, therefore removing everything that depended on those. Love that command. I'm coming from Void for 4 years so it's been a while since I used pacman, and I forgot how much I missed -Rcns until now. This would be practically unsolvable on Void. Of course, I'll need to not use anything that depends on the newer version of ffmpeg besides mpv which I wanted to keep at all costs so I followed through with solving dependency hell for it.  It was actually simple enough at that point, downgrade ffmpeg mpv libplacebo and finding the right version combinations. I won't mark as solved because I ended up going the nuclear route and there is probably a better solution for people with systems that are more complex than mine, which is a new install anyway, and perhaps accidentally upgraded.

Reply #2
I'm having an issue with upgrading due to ffmpeg as well, sucks that this happens to you on your new install.
In my case, pacman refuses to do an update because of this:
Code: [Select]
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing ffmpeg (2:5.0-3) breaks dependency 'libavcodec.so=58-64' required by mixxx
:: installing ffmpeg (2:5.0-3) breaks dependency 'libavformat.so=58-64' required by mixxx
:: installing ffmpeg (2:5.0-3) breaks dependency 'libavutil.so=56-64' required by mixxx

Reply #3
I can confirm the same issue on my machine too with ffmpeg. Maybe the package mirrors are just slightly behind and waiting would help?

Reply #6
I fixed it as well, but I'd be interested to know why this even landed in "stable" to begin with when even arch has it all in staging still.

Reply #7
I fixed too. And my steam games won't start now

Reply #8
I fixed it as well, but I'd be interested to know why this even landed in "stable" to begin with when even arch has it all in staging still.

Because we screwed up and this was a particularly bad package to screw up. It had a lot of API changes, so there were many things we ended up patching ourselves. The good news is that most of Artix packages are fixed by now (some stragglers still). The bad news is that if you depend on Arch packages, it'll probably take a bit longer (pacman may prevent you from updating if the package depends on a *.so file directly).

Reply #9
Thank you. It's very common to find people who made mistakes, but it's not so common to find people who are willing to admit them. This gives me a lot of hope for a very bright future for Artix. +100 respect 👍

Reply #10
Hello. I'm using only Artix on all my systems. Almost the last place we can be free in our choices..
Communication is the most important thing for today. So, "Maximum suffering" by two packages: element-desktop and telegram-desktop. If it is possible, make them priority.

This gives me a lot of hope for a very bright future for Artix.
True.

Thank You!

Reply #12
This is why I love timeshift.  I know for some it may seem like overkill, and I'm sure some would say it would be a great learning experience to roll back dependencies.  But I just used timeshift --restore, added ffmpeg to my IgnorePkg along with x264 and updated without those for now... I'll be keeping my eyes out here to see when this is resolved.

Reply #13
Been trapped using broken GNOME for a few days now, i was just trying it out and this happens. Hope it gets resolved soon.