Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: LXQt nm-applet missing [SOLVED] (Read 5017 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: LXQt nm-applet missing

Reply #30
I thank you for your think.

And I look forward to and thoughts that may develop.

Reply #31
Can you get network access at all ? To install packages.
Like ethernet temporarily or are you wifi only ?
Thinking back you mentioned installing packages so I'm going with you can.

https://snippets.leeharris.me.uk/manually-connect-to-wifi-in-a-terminal/
A note I made myself about bringing up a wifi connection on the command line
You'd need wireless_tools installed.
sudo in front of everything and you have wlan0 not mlan0

Doing things on the command line tends to give more feedback if things go wrong. Easier to debug.
Going to fire up this chromebook and have a look.

Reply #32
The terminal based program I was thinking of is 'wifi-menu'.
But it's part of the netctl package and based around systemd so no use here.

It's years ago now but I do remember having a real struggle getting wifi working on my ARM based chromebook at one point. Only manually or with wifi-menu worked. But I did get it working with NetworkManger in the end. No clue how now though.

I still suggest trying to do some wifi related things on the the command line.
See if the the driver is working and /or where it stops working.

Better than my notes!
https://linuxconfig.org/connect-to-wifi-from-the-linux-command-line
But if you just search "linux wifi command line" you'll find lots of examples.

Reply #34
How could this driver get mainlined?

Complicated subject and it shouldn't make a huge difference.
That driver is in the AUR https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rtl8812au-dkms-git

Maybe it's the one you have installed ? It's actively maintained on github which is always a promising sign

The fact that ip link show does show up your wifi network devices is also a promising sign.

Did you try any of the terminal commands I linked to.
Install wireless_tools
Code: [Select]
sudo ip link set wlan0 up
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
Should bring up wlan0 and list any SSID's found.

Reply #35
Install wireless_tools
sudo ip link set wlan0 up
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
Should bring up wlan0 and list any SSID's found.
I can see  my local ssid's.

So the driver seems to be working, right?
nm-connection-editor cannot see them though

This didn't...
sudo wpa_cli
wpa_cli v2.10
Copyright (c) 2004-2022, Jouni Malinen <[email protected]> and contributors

This software may be distributed under the terms of the BSD license.
See README for more details.

Interactive mode

Could not connect to wpa_supplicant: (nil) - re-trying

Got to this in your notes
sudo wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/my.conf -B
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not permitted

Reply #36
Off to bed but try it again and post the commands plus output pasted into a code tag. Or pastebin or attached. I didn't fully follow that. Did you do the
wpa_passphrase ESSID PASSWORD > /etc/wpa_supplicant/my.conf
step ?
Replace ESSID and PASSWORD withg the relevant details (In case that is not obvious)
Yes I'd say the driver is probably working. But it's worth making sure by connecting manually on the terminal. Once that is known to be true it's time to try and figure out what's wrong with NetworkManager.

Reply #37
Off to bed but try it again and post the commands plus output pasted into a code tag. Or pastebin or attached. I didn't fully follow that. Did you do the
wpa_passphrase ESSID PASSWORD > /etc/wpa_supplicant/my.conf
step ?
Replace ESSID and PASSWORD withg the relevant details (In case that is not obvious)
Yes I'd say the driver is probably working. But it's worth making sure by connecting manually on the terminal. Once that is known to be true it's time to try and figure out what's wrong with NetworkManager.
Ya. I had to sudo make the file, then the wpa_passphrase command worked and it did populate it.

sudo wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/my.conf -B
still gave
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not permitted

I do appreciate the re/stating the obvious. Make no assumptions of my skill.

I thank you.

Reply #38
Do you have network-manager-applet installed? That is a GTK3 thing and lxQT is QT, same as KDE plasma. This is just a guess, as I mostly use GTK desktops (for no especial reason) but perhaps a QT nm applet would work better in a QT desktop. If I do:
$ pacman -Ss network applet
I get several possible results for example, even more performing that search with an AUR helper. Varying the search terms could help too. "plasma-nm" might be worth a try instead.

Reply #39
In the first post i show pgrep nm-applet, so ya, i have it installed. but it never shows up.

It is my understanding, and I am often wrong, that GTK things run fine on a QT system and vice versa? I mean, with the things installed they do, right?

But I am fully willing to remove nm-applet, if i should, and install a QT one, or whatever.

But, Artix has LXQt. and it would seem that such systems work with wifi. I mean I know it does, I have installed it on laptops that worked fine. And I have used it on said laptops.

But I cannot diagnose why it will not work with my DKMS driver that works fine on lots of distros.

Reply #40
yes, gtk stuff runs fine on a qt environment and vice versa.
i didn't follow this thread closely, but as i use lxqt too, i have no problems with the status bar. even legacy stuff shows if i add ''system tray' together next to 'status notifier'.
to reply to your last question there is connman as alternatine for networkmanager, it has a gui/status bar/applet too. maybe your problems are also due to wpa_supplicant being too hard to set up on it's own (which it is, honestly, that's why OpenRC make their own scripts for easier setup)

Reply #41
sudo wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/my.conf -B
Would be a typo.

Correct
sudo wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/my.conf -B
No space between the -c and /etc/wpa_supplicant/my.conf.
That's how wpa_supplicant's man page states to format the options. I've no clue if it actually makes a difference?

As I said the notes I linked were just the the result of of my own debugging and experimentation some years ago when I was also having problems with desktop gui wifi applets
The -Dwext may be incorrect.? (It must have been what I needed). From the man page.
AVAILABLE DRIVERS
       A summary of available driver backends is below. Support for each of the driver backends is chosen at wpa_supplicant compile time. For a list of
       supported driver backends that may be used with the -D option on your system, refer to the help output of wpa_supplicant (wpa_supplicant -h).

nl80211
              Uses the modern Linux nl80211/cfg80211 netlink-based interface (most new drivers).

wext   Uses the legacy Linux wireless extensions ioctl-based interface (older hardware/drivers).

wired  wpa_supplicant wired Ethernet driver

roboswitch
              wpa_supplicant Broadcom switch driver

bsd    BSD 802.11 support (Atheros, etc.).

ndis   Windows NDIS driver.
Try this (with the other steps)
wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d
And this
wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d
The -d at the end enables debugging output.
-d     Increase debugging verbosity (-dd even more)
maybe your problems are also due to wpa_supplicant being too hard to set up on it's own (which it is, honestly, that's why OpenRC make their own scripts for easier setup)
I wouldn't be suggesting using wpa_supplicant if things were working already
But imho when things aren't working it is sometimes best to go down to the basic level, with no scripts and gui's and see what is happening.

Reply #42
Also maybe worth mentioning. If I switch to LXQT on my chromebook the package network-manager-applet (nm-applet) is what is providing the wifi applet is the systray. So even though GTK it can work on lxqt.

Reply #43
From the man page. Try this (with the other steps)
wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d
did you mean...

wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/my.conf -d

which worked, but keeps going forever, right?

then, following your guide

sudo dhcpcd wlan0
dhcpcd-9.4.1 starting
<snip>
wlan0: offered 192.168.1.134 from 192.168.1.254
wlan0: probing address 192.168.1.134/24
forked to background, child pid 5588

So, connected?

now what?

Reply #44

So we've proved that the wifi kernel driver works.

You should be able to ping ip addresses
ping 1.1.1.1
If you have, or do, set up /etc/resolve.conf
eg
nameserver 1.1.1.1
you can ping domains and use the internet.

When I jumped onto this thread you were being told, and it was also my initial belief due to the dmesg output, that you did not have a working wifi kernel driver. There's little point in trying to troubleshoot why your wifi applet isn't working until sure the wifi driver is working. We are now.

You can write a bash script with the commands you've used to connect to your wifi. You can also write one to disconnect.
It's a handy thing to know how to connect on the command line. Both wired and wifi.

As for the applet issue if me I'd start by figuring out where NetworkManager is logging to. And increase the logging verbosity if possible. A lot of what you'll find on the internet will be systemd related i.e. the journal.  You don't have a journal. My NetworkManager is on the Arch Arm chromebook so I can't instantly help with that as I do have a journal.

If that fails to shed any light I'd try uninstalling NetworkManager and applets plus removing all the associated config files and installing again.

What init are you using ?
Are you sure the NetworkManager service is enabled ?

NetworkManager I know little about as I try to avoid such things on my PC. It makes sense on the chromebook but I use that very infrequently.